Gritty posed for an official nude portrait

Originally published at: Gritty posed for an official nude portrait | Boing Boing

11 Likes

I’m not a Flyers fan, but I’m definitely a Gritty fan!

10 Likes

Nude… except for the shoes. Did he get his pants and underpants off while the shoes were on, or did he put his shoes back on after removing the rest of his clothing?

Also, is it really nude if you’re wearing shoes and a mask? Partially nude seems more applicable here.

6 Likes

I actually believe what we think of as shoes are part of Gritty’s body. They just look like shoes to us. Evolution really is remarkable.

26 Likes

Damnit, I hate stuff like this. Just another unrealistic body type for me to achieve.

30 Likes

I am born in Pittsburgh and a long time Pittsburgh Penguins season ticket holder so by all accounts I should hate everything Philadelphia Flyers related. Regardless, Gritty is awesome. The face mask, the costume, the antics, the time he crashed a wedding…all excellent.

All that being said, the Flyers suck…go Pens!

7 Likes

I don’t know why a team called the “Flyers” would have as a mascot a hairy beast that by all appearances shouldn’t be able to fly.

1 Like

Well now that is one heck of an adaptive trait! I wonder what benefit the organism gets from that kind of mimicry? Possibly defense against some mascot-foot-eating predator that does not count shoes as natural prey? Or is the Gritty organism the predator, and the appearance of shoes instead of feet allows it some kind of hunting advantage?

1 Like

Given the context, it could be sexual selection. A potential mate of a wild Gritty may well prefer partners with exaggerated simulated footwear features. While it may be resource manipulative, there is the potential of increased reproductive success. Sadly naturalists have yet to record any observations of the mating behaviors of Grits (what is the collective noun of Gritty?) in the wild so this is as of yet all wild speculation.

8 Likes

That’s a belly button? I thought they just chose to pose him with a donut on his stomach.

5 Likes

13 Likes

Gritty: Benjamin, I want you to draw me like one of your French girls. Wearing these…

Benjamin: All right.

Gritty: Wearing only these.

10 Likes

Stir this into your nightmare sauce.

16 Likes

It is a mystery. But have you seen their baseball mascot? What the hell does that thing have to do with anything?

Gritty freaked me out upon his debut, but has since grown on me (Wings fan, I hate the Flyers) to the point that I believe the world is a better place because Gritty is in it.

11 Likes

Gritty is about as close as I’ve ever seen sports come to Dada, so I’m here for it.

8 Likes

Well. . . the team is The Phillies. What kind of mascot are they supposed to have? I guess a ‘filly’, as in a horse, but that’s not how it’s spelled. So then it should be a dancing Liberty Bell, or a Ben Franklin impersonator to get the crowd going? No, the Philly Phanatic will do just fine.

3 Likes

mmm … Like a hairy Benedict Cumberbatch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gritney! I love her.

9 Likes

1: My eyes!!! My eyes!!!
2: Gritty isnt into manscaping…
:scream: :scream: :scream:

What are THOSE?

1 Like