Unpleasant mascot introduced

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/25/unpleasant-mascot-introduced.html

8 Likes

Still nowhere close to Kingsley, the mascot (since 2015) of Partick Thistle FC.

31 Likes

I guess that’s what you get when asking an inhabitant of Glasgow to draw a picture of something as unfamiliar as the Sun. Extra points for the monobrow.

33 Likes

A orange guy with an unpleasant combover that traumatizes children is hardly new news

30 Likes

Makes a decent monster for a low budget horror film though :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It looks like how a hockey player feels right when they body check someone into the boards.

5 Likes

From Gritty’s official bio, apparently written by a descendant of HP Lovecraft:

“He claims that he’s been around for a lot longer than we know it, and recent construction at the Wells Fargo Center disturbed his secret hideout forcing him to show his face publicly for the first time.”

No doubt he’s the concentrated malign energy of the Broad Street Bullies combined with an old “Muppets on Ice” costume come to life.

12 Likes

Definitely trying to ape Phillie Phanatic and only getting halfway there. I dig the googly eyes though.

7 Likes

"Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Gritty Philadelphia wgah’nagl fhtagn! "

8 Likes

The Phanatic is aggro, too.

6 Likes

Good to know the Stanford Tree isn’t the only plant-based mascot. But the Tree has the best dance moves of any mascot I’ve seen.

stanfordtrees

4 Likes

Mascotting is often a family vocation. Here’s Gritty alongside his less talented older brother who mascots for a political party in decline. They’re both doing the time honored mascot act and throwing stuff to the crowd, but one of them looks happily demented, while the other appears to suffer from age related dementia. Talent runs in families, but it isn’t equally distributed.

17 Likes

There have been more recent attempts for the title of most questionable mascot in the UK

Balls
(to be fair that one was part of a “check yourself for testicular cancer” campaign)

But I don’t think anyone can beat Telford United
BKAM_Sports_Mascot_TelfordBox

ETA: I forgot about Southend United’s mascots
sammyandelvis52-852448_478x359

16 Likes

That’s an interesting bong he’s holding in the first photo.

But I don’t get it-- the team is the “Flyers” and this thing doesn’t even have wings. They should just have a cartoon-ish macho-looking guy as the mascot, the Broad Street Bully.

4 Likes

Maybe I grew up with too many Muppets, but he doesn’t seem so bad to me. :slight_smile:

Though what he has to do with “Flyers” is a head-scratcher.

3 Likes

Are you sure it’s not an exploded mustard packet?

5 Likes

For the hockey connection- see the Movie ‘Face-Off’

2 Likes

Scottsdale Community College has Artie the Artichoke:

6 Likes

Let’s not forget the mascot for the Greendale Community College’s team, the Greendale Human Beings

https://goo.gl/images/vaQT1j

4 Likes

Oh, wow. Would you look at the terrified expression of existential dread locked into its frozen, maniacally twisted smile.

2 Likes