Group of women steal up to $17,000 worth of yoga gear from Lululemons across California in broad daylight

Nah. Most big retail stores demand it.

Oh, they say it’s for employee safety, but one trainer told us the truth. It’s all about liability, so when your employee chases someone into traffic and someone hits them, the store doesn’t get sued, because they had a “no chase” policy and the employee ignored it.

Most people who have had any kind of service job (or know someone who has) know the policy.

9 Likes

“If one employee, or just one patron had a gun, or if one person in this room had been there with gun, aimed at the opposite direction, the thieves would have fled or been shot,”

who are you quoting, Republican Jesus?

4 Likes

Someone would probably have been shot, anyway.

5 Likes

Stealing is wrong.

Still…

1 Like

“Why do you rob Lululemon stores?”

“Because that’s where the designer yoga pants are!”

How far we’ve fallen. :disappointed:

2 Likes

Maybe it was performance art?

3 Likes

I wonder if that is a Burberry-style $10k or just the cost price. Sounds like cost price if it is only $67 per item. Though even $67 cost sounds very inflated.

2 Likes

I guess this is what they call “hot yoga”, right?

4 Likes

When I think of all the Downward Facing Dogs that will not be accomplished due to these selfish, cruel acts.

Since Lululemon clearly won’t take action, does that mean fit, upper-middle-class women will have to take matters into their own hands, roaming the hatha studios, forming citizens’ committees, organizing posses, announcing bounties for the leggings rustlers?

Also, did they blur the faces of the thieves? Or is it just the potato-nature of the video?

1 Like

can NOT resist the Humor

next time try to wear some yoga gear!

is this Coldplay?

why is it so hot in here!!!

3 Likes

I assumed they’re using retail price, because that’s the kind of thing that seems to happen when trying to maximize values of things in criminal cases. (In which case they grabbed a lot of shorts and bikini bottoms.) But I could also see these being the wholesale prices on $118+ yoga pants.

1 Like

Brazen act, or DIY recreation of “Supermarket Sweep”?

But you understand why corporations have that policy, right? How much will a lawsuit from an overexuberantly tackled thief cost? Or a suit from an employee, injured in an attempt to grab the offender? Or a bystander knocked over in the chase?

Let’s all take a moment to applaud the hero who retrieved one of the items that was dropped on the way out.

1 Like

https://shop.lululemon.com/c/women-pants/_/N-7yh?mnid=mn;en-US-JSON;women;bottoms;pants

APPARENTLY, yoga pants are expensive.

1 Like
3 Likes

Oh, certainly.

My point was not that it’s a stupid policy; just that it’s a policy that dramatically saps the human tendency to do things that are, if rational at all, only rational with reference to various deeply emotional and/or normative commitments.

This doesn’t make it a bad thing(indeed, if you could distill it into a sprayable form for application to the world’s various futile meatgrinder conflicts over salvation goods, wildly contrafactual mythic histories, and chunks of dirt barely worth standing on; they could just abolish the selection committee and make you Nobel Peace laureate in perpetuity); just a notable one; in that it’s about as far from cultivating a desire to get all ashes-and-temples on the situation as one could reasonably imagine.

“It’s a bunch of fungible junk that wouldn’t be worth the trouble even if it weren’t owned by the faceless monolith that doesn’t pay you enough to deal with this, and probably protected by inscrutable financial arrangements; also your situational mastery is so low, and agency so limited, that any deviation from passivity will be of negative expected value that we won’t hesitate to discard you for.” really doesn’t leave much room for improvement as a disincentive toward being a big damn hero, or trying.

(To put the matter into sharpest relief, compare and contrast with the messaging used by assorted military and paramilitary entities; which also have a large body of entry-level staff who aren’t paid nearly enough for this; but absolutely depend on instilling(or nourishing where already present) the exact opposite set of convictions.)

1 Like

It’s not good manners for women to tell other women how to dress; that’s the job of male fashion photographers. Women who criticize other women for dressing hot are seen as criticizing women themselves — a sad conflation if you think about it, rooted in the idea that who we are is how we look. It’s impossible to have once been a teenage girl and not, at some very deep level, feel that.

But yoga pants make it worse. Seriously, you can’t go into a room of 15 fellow women contorting themselves into ridiculous positions at 7 in the morning without first donning skintight pants? What is it about yoga in particular that seems to require this? Are practitioners really worried that a normal-width pant leg is going to throttle them mid-lotus pose?

We aren’t wearing these workout clothes because they’re cooler or more comfortable. (You think the selling point of Lululemon’s Reveal Tight Precision pants is really the way their moth-eaten design provides a “much-needed dose of airflow”?) We’re wearing them because they’re sexy.

1 Like

jeff-goldblum-blah

As someone who has been known to “contort” myself (although not at 7am) on the mat, pants that are looser would not be helpful in getting into some positions.

Yeah, no. Not at all. I’m wearing them because they allow me to have the maneuverability I need to be able to practice particular exercise form. That’s it. But I don’t own a pair of expensive pair of pants. I’ve had the same pair for about 10 years now.

4 Likes