Group of women steal up to $17,000 worth of yoga gear from Lululemons across California in broad daylight

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/25/group-of-women-steal-up-to-17.html

4 Likes

That’s $17,000???

Are they $500 a piece? That would be a more interesting story.

5 Likes

What is this “merch” of which you speak?

1 Like

Probably; Lululemon products are known to be ridiculously overpriced.

9 Likes

So, why are you certain they’re poor? Are you racially profiling black people as poor? For all you know, they are highly successful rich thieves.

1 Like

Police hope to recover both pairs of yoga pants

21 Likes

One reason is because at Lululemon, “Employees are not allowed to confront or chase thieves due to a company policy,”

That suggests a former employee or an inside job, especially if they also grabbed only the most expensive over-priced merch.

5 Likes

Yeah as @Melz2 said they’re super expensive, and they cultivate a culture of keeping-up-with-the-Jones by getting customers to keep constantly buying new stuff though having yoga instructors shame students for old-wear. Shit piles up real quick.

8 Likes

No, the non-confrontation policy is ubiquitous in retail and every thief knows it.

13 Likes

I’ve worked both in corporate retail and a family-owned store. After witnessing the way the corporate store just let blatent theft and fraud happen, it was super surprising to see the manager at the family-owned store not put up with shit from scammers and thieves… I mean, they wouldn’t be afraid to even restrain people on Ocasion.

2 Likes

Aside from the difference between “no way am I paid enough to risk much of anything here” and “this is my stuff; quite possibly not something I can afford to just assume insurance will cover”; corporate has a tendency to actively suppress initiative.

It’s one thing to take a risk that makes no economic sense just on principle; people do that all the time; but it’s a lot harder to get enthusiastic when it’s very possible that they’ll fire you for it, which is the sort of spiteful insult-to-injury that deflates any enthusiasm for norm enforcement.

6 Likes

I suspect the $10k number quoted is wrong. $17k is stated as the cumulative loss of many such robberies in the area.

1 Like

And they do this right in front of the store’s employees and customers, including kids.

Why is it relevant that there were kids in the shop? Nobody was waving a gun around, were they? There was no violence, if I understand. Just a bunch of people stealing some stuff very quickly. Just think of the poor children…

6 Likes

Police say the women took 148 pairs of pants worth at least $10,000 and walked away, CNN affiliate KSFN reported.

$67 each, but the thieves made it up volume.

3 Likes

Yes, limiting your haul to 148 pants at a time certainly suggests selectivity,

2 Likes

Good luck if they’re the transparent kind.

3 Likes

Uh, they’re setting a bad example, I guess? Although relatively speaking, their behavior was better-than-presidential, so…

Looking at their catalog, “148 pairs of pants worth at least $10,000” suggests they just grabbed random items, not the most expensive stuff. That’s just $67 per item, which is just slightly above their lowest prices, for shorts. If they went for the expensive stuff, they’d be saying they took “at least” twice that amount.

4 Likes
1 Like

Did you vote for them? Then probably not the case.

3 Likes

surely they cost 65 to produce, and their profits are as thin as their manakins, right?

2 Likes