Guess why the Sultan of Brunei changed his mind about his gay death penalty

Obey the first commandment of the LORD your God, MW-PARSER-OUTPUT!

10 Likes

“Changes his mind” implies something actually happened. The law is still on the books. It’s just that his current whim is that the law will not now be enforced. He could change his mind back again tomorrow, or he could die tomorrow. Either way, the law is still going to be in Brunei’s legal code.

And what’s with his whining about “questions and misperceptions” about the law? “Hey, we were never going to actually enforce this new law I just caused to be created. How could think that of me?”

5 Likes
  1. Not to anoint with anointing oil.

With what then shall we anoint?

2 Likes

The book of Leviticus condemns the consumption of shellfish using the same harsh language it uses to condemn homosexuality, yet few followers of Abrahamic religions have put people to death for eating a shrimp cocktail.

16 Likes

He believes he was abducted by aliens and they changed his mind?

We are deeply saddened by what’s happening right now and the impact it is having on our employees, guests, partners and suppliers in particular.

Yeah, especially the gay ones.

4 Likes

Kind of like, oh I don’t know, an executive order? I’m so glad that couldn’t happen here.

1 Like

Well, in the US, we rely on something much more tenuous than an executive order.

We rely on conservative SCOTUS justices to respect precedent case law.

2 Likes

It seems the boycotting+bad publicity is working then.

Thing is, I heard about the whole thing because of some posts/articles about George Clooney boycotting the hotels. But LOTS of responses to the Clooney posts/articles were either not supportive or shrugs claiming it wouldn’t do anything and was more a publicity stunt on his part.

So I’m glad to see it’s legit wide-spread and working because I’ve grown so tired of perpetual naysayers and sideliners constantly scolding or scoffing, every time over and over, at any social progress stance that pops up.

6 Likes

I can think of a few things.

And WTF to do with the anointing oil, eh? Just what is it for, if not for anointing? We need to be told!

4 Likes

In context, it’s not to anoint [anyone but a descendant of Aaron, or anything but one of a specified list of holy objects] with the anointing oil. There’s also a recipe given for the anointing oil, specifying stoichiometric proportions, and the list of what and whom to anoint is quite detailed - and then ‘don’t anoint anything or anyone not on the list, and don’t make any other oil that smells like this stuff.’ The specified penalty is shunning, not death.

7 Likes

“However, we believe that once these have been cleared, the merit of the law will be evident.”

So, we will all come around to his way of thinking once we get our misconceptions cleared up. Sounds good, boycott over, right?

2 Likes

Yeah, I strongly suspect the “misperception” he refers to is that vicious mass-murder all gay people would somehow be wrong.

2 Likes

Are you sure that homosexuality is an Abrahamic religion?

6 Likes

Turns out when you try to dial your values back to medieval times the rest of the world turns its back on you and moves on.

3 Likes

Don’t invite Bob. He’s been using the anointing oil to anoint stuff he shouldn’t be anointing. Again.

8 Likes

What? Is it the Enlightenment again? That came around quickly :smiley:

6 Likes

We understand people’s anger and frustration…

If you’re going to take a stand against homophobia, take a stand against homophobia. Don’t pretend to “understand” (read: legitimize) the opposition, when the opposition is a bunch of homophobes.