Guess why the Sultan of Brunei changed his mind about his gay death penalty

The Bible isn’t very ambiguous about thou shalt not kill and love thy neighbour and the rich not being able to go into heaven, either. It’s never about the ‘basic religion’.

2 Likes

Pretty sure that Leviticus is a list of rules for Levite Priests to follow, anyway. That’s one of the things I find hilarious about Christian Evangelicals justifying so much of their bigotry with it. They aren’t rules for them, in fact, in many cases they’re explicitly NOT for them.

5 Likes

Your Bible may order death for violating some mundane law but how many times have you heard about people following through? Either modern Christians don’t blindly follow the word (at least not on the scale or intensity that some modern Muslims do) or perhaps other commandments about not killing others takes priority.

Islam seems to be more repressive and sometimes regressive (I’m thinking about Iran) than other major religions.

Pound pastrami
can kraut
six bagels
bring home for Emma

3 Likes

Ehhhhh, just because when white Christian men act up we absolutely refuse to call them terrorists does not mean they aren’t.

Now, this test is unfair for inobvious reasons but whatever

There are mostly two categories of terrorists: the ones desperate for some cash and a sense of belonging, and the true believers. Hopefully there is some overlap…

Anyways, if you ignore the acts of the poor people who would never be there if they had a job (or else you might have to add drug crime terrorism, and we want to focus on religious terrorism), and instead focus on the people within and above the global middle class, which set of true believers is more dangerous to people?

It’s a genuine question…because do you count Shia Shiite terrorism? Do you count abortion clinic and government building bombing? Do you count white supremacists? Do you count christians who kill their kids for being gay or do you have to be Muslim for that to count?

I’m sure instinctively that Muslim terrorists are more deadly than Christian terrorists, but I don’t think it is by much.

Obligatorily: christians and muslims are very peaceful people and religions, and the terrorist fringes do not reflect on the vast majority.

5 Likes

Biblical stoichiometry! So hot!

Is there a study group? Can we perform Old Testament titration experiments? Is the number of angels who can dance on the head of a pin related to Avogadro’s number?

Perspiring minds want to know!

(PS, satire aside: thanks for the info.)

7 Likes

Hmm, context matters, I guess.

I wonder if some future archaeologists will find “No Swimming” and “No Shirts, No Shoes, No Service.” signs and decide that we as a culture must have completely abhorred swimming in all instances, as we bonfired all our shirts and shoes?

2 Likes

Nobody expects the Albertian Order of Leibowitz Inquisition!

2 Likes
6 Likes

Anything else, obvs…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.