Guga Foods dry-aged a brisket in sriracha

Originally published at: Guga Foods dry-aged a brisket in sriracha | Boing Boing

2 Likes

It burns you twice, once going down, and the other coming out.

7 Likes

I watched this yesterday coincidentally. The spice didn’t transfer to the brisket at all from what i recall :slight_smile: they liked it but thought that going through the hassle of dry aging with sriracha wasn’t worth the effort involved

8 Likes

That’s nasty and dangerous. All that shit he had to cut away was straight up spoilage. They kept trying to act as if there was some benefit to adding the sriracha by talking about the “fermentation flavors”, but that’s exactly the type of flavors that dry-aged beef picks up. All he did was waste half a brisket. I feel queasy.

5 Likes

There’s usually some weird on a piece of dry aged meat.

But just how deep into that meat the obvious spoilage went.

That was not safe to eat.

3 Likes

Agreed. This did not make me hungry.

2 Likes

Yeah, which is why I’ve never particularly liked it at all. I consulted for a local butcher for a bit and had a chance to try everything, including a 400+ day piece of dry-aged… something. I don’t remember the cut. It tasted like some of the worst fruit spirits I’ve had; acetone, butyric acid and all manner of bad fermentation compounds. It really brought home why I didn’t like it. A little bit is fine, but only if done in the proper conditions and for a limited period of time.

3 Likes

I’m no expert, especially with dry aging, but here are Sriracha’s ingredients

chiles, sugar, salt, garlic, distilled vinegar, potassium sorbate, sodium bisulfite and xanthan gum

Isn’t the salt the only thing that’s going to penetrate the meat? And maybe the sugar, I admit I’m not sure of the chemistry on that. I thought sugar on meat was more for the maillard reaction. Maybe some of the sriracha gets deeper in the cracks of the meat after 35 days, but if you have to cut so much away, isn’t it a waste of both the meat and the sriracha?

1 Like

Also, you would think that dousing meat in potassium sorbate and sodium bisulfate would work against the dry aging process since they are both food preservatives.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t trust that green mold on meat. I would trust koji mold on meat.

2 Likes

Are you sure it was 400+ and not 40+?

I don’t think it’s legal to sell meat that old, and from what I understand about dry aging I don’t think a 400+ day old anything would be either edible or cost effective at any price. I think it might spread spoilage to the rest of your chamber too.

But yeah I’m not overly into dry aged anything, especially over 26ish days.

Short dry age you do lose some moisture so things sear insanely well, and you get some nuttiness and concentrated flavor. Too far past that it just tastes oxidized and rancid.

You get better wow for your money by just going with a higher grade of meat.

2 Likes

No, it was 400 and it wasn’t for sale. They put it up as a demonstration to the crew and shaved off very small slices; like 1/2 oz or so. Even that was way too much. It was super informative for understanding what processes are taking place and what the outer limits are, but it solidified my distaste for it at any age. I couldn’t out my finger on what I didn’t like before, but I sure could after!

2 Likes

That is just fucking nasty. From what recall past 60 days all that’s happening is putrefaction. By 35-40 days the outside is too desiccated for any further moisture to exit, and without a fuck ton of salt involved it’s a ticking time bomb. 60 days is usually the safe cut off.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess marinades don’t work very well if you have to trim off everything they penetrated into. And whatever the sriracha did to that brisket, it wasn’t good. Waste of meat, waste of time. Which is kind of my philosophy in general when it comes to dry-aging for more than a couple of days, but I guess that’s a different discussion.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.