Guillotine Watch: weighing the pros and cons of keeping your art collection on your super-yacht

Crewman are not trained to be guards. Guards are not necessarily trained at seamanship. Which means, if you actually were to carry artwork valued in the hundreds of millions, you’re going to feeding and maintaining one (but, let’s face it, 3 shifts in a day means at least 3) security guards on your yacht, just to protect the valuables when you are in port. This, in addition to the regular security detail any kidnapable billionaire always has in attendance. Is this trip really necessary?

4 Likes

I like the concept of guillotines waiting for the enablers of mass exploitation.

3 Likes

Lotta Lex Luthors though.

[stolen from Twitter]

12 Likes

I suspect most people don’t condone it here, no, but most people here are aware that extreme inequality eventually leads down this road. And so, every excess of the hyper-rich is seen as another step along that route, another creak from the tumbrel, and another grind of the whetstone on the guillotine’s blade.

Hence: guillotine watch. It’s coming, and there’s not much that can be done to arrest this progress, wealth accumulation being an inevitable consequence capitalism, and of what can be done, even less is being done.

12 Likes

I believe I know the guy:

9 Likes

Once again, it’s an admonition about what historically happens when inequality gets out of hand in this way, not a prescription or an endorsement.

14 Likes

See? This is why I’d want an aircraft carrier for my personal yacht.

5 Likes

If you are taking your own notes you aren’t on the path.

No accounting for taste (or lack thereof) in life or in art.
The Romans on the regular commissioned similar pieces as did the Japanese during certain periods.

2 Likes

When a temperamental millionaire lives in a tower with his name on it you call Batman, not vote for him as President.

You’d think people would know that…

11 Likes

My assistant asked for a Christmas bonus so I made her walk the plank. I didn’t get this super-yacht by handing out bonuses you know.

5 Likes

Heavens, where IS my fainting couch?!

1uhU

16 Likes

Yep, almost the same but with a silk scarf and blond hair.

1 Like

Do these mean that we want smokers to die in horrible ways?

No! However, we have had no success at politely telling the 0.1% that their behaviour is destructive, so all we can now do is directly warn them of the consequences of continuing the way they are and hope that it never comes to pass. I may be from the far left, but one person going to the guillotine is one too many.

I have little hope of the 0.1% listening to be honest, and I am now more concerned about making sure I am still alive when everything settles down.

8 Likes

I guess we could call it “Cake Watch” but I don’t think it would have the same edge.

14 Likes
4 Likes

Rule of thumb is 5 people to fill a single 24/7 position. This is supposed to account for sick leave, vacation, days off and training. The actual number of staff may vary upwards from this to account for labor laws in some jurisdictions.

1 Like

Lantern Watch?

À la lanterne!

4 Likes

You would find a lot of paper, unusable magnetic backups and decaying data of questionable value and use. My bet is that is the vast majority of the material at IronMountain. Seriously, there is enough paper hr, medical, and financial forms here to run an incinerator based thermal-electric-generators through the next ice age.

4 Likes

Yachts are too prone to sinking. That’s why I keep my priceless works of art on my zeppelin. Their safety record is unmatched by any other form of transportation: there has not been a single zeppelin accident in the past 81 years!

10 Likes

Further proof that you can’t buy class…

1 Like