Guitarist performs whimsical counterpoint to dryer's cycle completion tune

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/27/guitarist-performs-whimsical-c.html

5 Likes

omg my mom has that Samsung washing machine. I’d pay that musician a fortune to live in her laundry room (well, if I had a fortune).

7 Likes

I think the best appliance accompaniment I’ve heard is still

14 Likes

I raise you this:

11 Likes
4 Likes

first thing i did after we got our samsung washer was mute that thing so we never have to hear that stupid song again.

4 Likes

In the UK, appliances like this just beep. That tune thing would drive me nuts.

1 Like

I was listening one day to a recording of Schubert’s Piano Quintet in A (“The Trout”), and was thinking to myself, “Where have I heard that melody before?”

Then it hit me… it turned out to be the jingle used by the Samsung front-loading washer. I couldn’t stop laughing.

6 Likes

We have the Samsung machine from the first video. We always thought the tune had a bit of “Popeye the Sailor Man” in it.

3 Likes

aw man, this whole time I thought it was some old Korean folk song…

3 Likes

Stretching the definition of “appliance”, we arrive at:

8 Likes

Found it! So, I guess it’s an old German folk song that Schubert incorporated into some of his pieces.

I’m glad to know all this…but from now on I’m going to hear this German tenor’s voice whenever my washer finishes:

4 Likes

A creative guitarist can play along to anything…

(There are further collaborations in the comments. Somebody else added lyrics.)

5 Likes

Is this a Samsung thing? Thanks for the warning to never buy a Samsung washer or dryer.

2 Likes

Oh, LG does it too. Seems to be all the rage now.

2 Likes

my parents’ machine only makes mario brother coin sounds. i feel ripped off.

4 Likes
1 Like

I’d actually prefer a jaunty little tune to the BZZZZZ my dryer does.

1 Like

Yep, I have an LG washer/dryer combo that plays the most annoying tune to signal that it’s done.

1 Like

Unlike some of the grumpy folk in this thread, I enjoy it when my LG dishwasher plays this tune. I like to imagine that it’s the dish fairies, happy in a job well done, signaling their departure for the evening.

ETA: And grumpy is usually my shtick.

4 Likes