Gun control and Gamergate

I imagine certain parts of the CDC are considered public, while other parts are not. Probably highly context senstitive.

Also, Secret Service protocol is not the same thing as state or federal law. The contractor in question was not breaking the law in carrying his concealed firearm, he was merely contraveneing Secret Service protocol.

1 Like

Sure, it’s a great help. When you’re giving a lecture and someone in the audience suddenly shoots you to death, you can… well, you’re not going to do much of anything, I suppose.

9 Likes

Well, yeah, it kind of is about gun control. Gun control and Feminism, it can be two things.

“Bullshit?” Please elaborate? Mass shootings overwhelmingly happen in “gun-free” zones. Please explain how a sign can stop somebody? The ONLY way it would actually work is if you have metal detectors and armed guards.

2 Likes

Kentucky allows open carry. Obama had an outdoor speech here in Lexington a while back, at the University of Kentucky–a public university–and the area was roped off and you had to pass through a police-monitored line to get in. I didn’t go, so I don’t know if they were actually searching people, but I rather doubt they’d have gone to all that trouble just to wave a guy with a hunting rifle on through.

In fact, now that I think of it, firearms are 100% banned on UK campus, despite Kentucky’s open carry laws. So I’m skeptical that Utah State doesn’t have the same power.

3 Likes

Hmmm. The current president, and the previous one, made “free speech zones” where he can speak without ever seeing anybody who might actually disagree with him! If he can restrict 1st Amendment rights, he can also restrict 2nd Amendment rights easier! I can actually understand keeping people with guns away from the POTUS, but to keep away people who are simply holding signs? That is ridiculous.

What next? “Freedom from search and seizure zones” where you can go if you actually require a warrant before being searched? If you leave the zone, too bad, you surrender your rights…

1 Like

*USU (it’s my alma mater)

2 Likes

Many (most?) states allow private employers to ban guns from the workplace, through explicit company policy.

1 Like

Which is exactly what the university should have done once the specifics of the threat were communicated.

It’s absurd that a public university in the US cannot be a safe space for free speech. The world may not like our 2nd amendment, but the world does commend our first amendment as one of the best frameworks for free expression on the planet.

4 Likes

You do have a point, well, except that metal detectors can be an expensive proposition. However, in some states the law requires that public colleges allow concealed carry. In that event, just move the event to a private venue – which, of course, requires more expense.

2 Likes

Two allow CC inside university buildings - Utah is one. Clearly a minority of US opinion.

Yes, because the Utah legislature passed a law allowing this, USU, as a state agency, should have to incur the additional expense. The by-product of having one of the most liberal CC policies in the country carries additional responsibility, and that responsibility should be shouldered by the citizens of Utah who elected and supported the representatives that created this legislation.

2 Likes

Oh yes. And this worked SO well at Virginia Tech.

Simple question for you: How many mass shootings have happened in “gun free zones” vs. areas where guns are allowed? One happened right near where I live (about three miles from the house I am buying), and a concealed-carry person shot the criminal BEFORE it could turn into a mass shooting. Had that been a “gun free zone,” a lot more people would be dead.

In my mind it doesn’t matter if lawful CCW helps or not.

The thing is lawful CCW aren’t out to hurt people. People who carry with the intent to harm someone do so regardless of what ever laws are in place. No CCW laws? No weapons sign posted on the door? Age limit on ownership/possession? None of those things is going to deter someone determined to do harm to another.

But by all means, make more laws to inconvenience or strip the rights of the lawful. The unlawful will continue to ignore those too. When you do, just be honest that you do so based on emotional fear when you punish the 99%+ of lawful users for the sins of the few. It’s why we have the TSA and some people think the NSA is doing a good thing with mass surveillance. Same mentality.

2 Likes

That’s a complete misrepresentation of my argument.

My argument is that if Utah wants to have more liberal CC laws then they should bear the burden of paying the extra expense for extra officers and metal detectors when there is a clear and specific threat. Like this case.

Instead, USU just shrugged and said “we’re not allowed to create a restricted carry area on campus” unlike the other 96% of states.

Also: how many of Sarkeesian’s followers who would be in attendance have a CC license? My bet is her fans are below the state and national average for CC licenses. Just because they aren’t devotees like you are, or, heaven forbid, pacifists, doesn’t mean they should not have a state-sanctioned safe space for free speech.

If we can’t provide this at our universities, we can’t provide it anywhere.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Could you imagine the online meltdown that would happen if Sarkeesian stepped up a podium carrying an assault rifle?

“Lookit the ebil feminazi threatening us into silence with her gunz!!1!!eleventy-one!”

6 Likes

And, of course, you fail to mention the recent case in Pennsylvania where a doctor shoots a patient that had just shot somebody else. Come on, is your memory that bad? That was only a couple of months ago.

No, it will not help in every case. But pointing to a case where it failed is like pointing at a few pregnancies and saying “Look: birth control is useless.”

There was also a recent study where concealed-carry permit holder are MUCH more honest that the average person, so none of this bullshit about “more guns on the street makes everybody less safe.” The ones who OBEY the gun-control laws are the ones who, in general will NOT murder people. Those who intend to murder people will probably not start obeying “no carry” or “gun free zone” laws.

If you are afraid of being bitten by a wolf, it will NOT help to pull the teeth out of the family Labrador retriever.

At risk of disturbing the ancient old ones, this seems to be an apt thread to share news directly on-topic, and a post-script to the initial incident at U of Utah.

The University of Utah is barring guns at an upcoming speaking tour appearance by U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor.

The ban honors federal guidelines for justices’ security, putting Utah law on hold. The state permits concealed weapon holders to tote guns on public university campuses.

In October, Utah State University administrators made a very different call when feminist blogger Anita Sarkeesian asked them to ban guns at her speech on campus.

(if folks want this thread closed, I won’t mind if you move this comment where ever. This just seemed to fit here than the active Gamer/Wikipedia thread or starting a new one.)

5 Likes

So how can they do this?

I thought Utah State University said it was illegal for them to do it?

3 Likes

Good question, I dunno. I’ve not been following the Utah law closely.

But, going from that article, it seems that the University officials were not wholly supportive of the state law. From that, I can craft a theory where the Uni legal counsel might feel they have a better chance of fending off the State Attorney General’s office by hiding behind the federal Marshall’s requirements than they would have in honoring a request from a someone who’s not even a state citizen.

2 Likes