Gun enthusiasts show up at Pokémon finals, police catch 'em all

No no no. We aren’t savages. That’s what a sword is for.

7 Likes

Sorry, I think a basic felony here is warranted. Hell I’m a gun rights advocate but I want these idiots (and pretty much every other gun owner where the term negligent and firearm are in the same news story) to lose their right to own firearms.

Gun ownership is a right, sure thing. Act like a chucklefuck and become a rights-less (ack I bushed a word) and lose that right.

2 Likes

Yeah, but in this case it’s obviously being used as a sort of double entendre. “We’re going to go ‘kill the competition’, nyuk, nyuk, get it?”

Which doesn’t necessarily make it a threat, but being a commonly used phrase doesn’t make it not a threat.

2 Likes

There should be a rule of thumb that if it is ambiguous it is not a threat.

People say a lot of things that in the age before the internet, where everything uttered is saved for eternity and for view by every thin-skinned chicken little, was considered harmless. It should stay that way.

How about we just get rid of all laws for threatening and intimidation? They’d all be useless if we actually implemented such a rule of thumb.

Or people can adjust to the reality of the internet. I don’t think that’s a terrible outcome either.

2 Likes

What about requiring actual intent to intimidate, or at least an obvious formulation?

And thinking thrice before saying anything and possibly consulting a lawyer before saying anything in public? Thanks but no thanks.

Intent is really hard to prove.

“Obvious formulation” seems even worse: “Nice shop you have here. It would be a real shame if something happened to it.”

It really sounds like you just don’t want these to be laws any more. That’s a legitimate opinion.

When you say something on the internet:

1. You have to think it
  2. You have to type it
  3. You have to click “Submit”

So yes, you should be thinking about everything at least twice and more likely thrice before you say it on the internet.

I never said anything about lawyers, and it seems like most people can find ways to be pro-social without consulting them. (In fact, consulting lawyers might make it a little harder to be pro-social.)

2 Likes

Why does it seem that gun rights activists are always making the best arguement for gun control?

I mean, i bet there is a huge % of people that would raise a flag to the second ammendment right up until the point that they see an AK47 at the park or a gun of any kind at an event attended by multitudes of children. Then they are all ready to go all Australia on everyone’s ass.

Aside from shooting people i can’t think of a worse strategy.

1 Like

Sounds like a great win for sociopaths.

2 Likes

As it’s also a great loss for cops and lawyers, both the professional and the wannabe internet ones, I’d say worth it.

Cops if anything are loathe to follow up on stalking/harassment cases as is. It’d be hard for them to care less.

1 Like

Alternatively, they’d get clearer signal with less noise, fewer of more important cases to follow.

Regardless of legaloutcome, I think we both agree that Chucklefuck is the minimum insult required for these… Chucklefucks.

1 Like

Is there any part of society gun fondlers don’t want to ruin with their idiotic fetish? Pokemon? FFS.

3 Likes

Saying you’re gonna “nuke someone’s burrito” isn’t very funny when you’re walking around with a W80 in your backpack. Much the same as “butcher the competition” when you’re carrying around a pair of real katanas.

1 Like

It stops being a joke when you’re carrying around a gun, because that’s actually a tool to make killing and maiming lots of people rapidly so easy that even toddlers can do it.

When your 12 year old nephew says “I’ll knock you out of your socks” you chuckle because he couldn’t knock down a bowling pin. When Mike Tyson says “I’ll knock you out of your socks” you should probably put some distance between him and you because he’s quite capable of knocking sheep out of a pair of velcro socks.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, and I know this may not be popular here…I used to openly carry a gun sometimes, and I’m in a community with many more who do the same.

You never, ever joke about what you might do with a gun when you’re wearing it. You just don’t do it.

5 Likes

Absolutely. If my dad taught me anything of value from his biblical fundamentalism it’s: Speak plainly. Let your yes be yes and your no be no.

Which he extended to practically everything. I got my ass whooped on numerous occasions not for saying “I’ll kill you” specifically, but because it was an idle threat. It’s one of those things. Either say it and mean it, or don’t say it at all, because people don’t always know whether or not you mean it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.