Guns Don't Kill People, Toddlers Do

Presumably he’s referring to this:

2 Likes

Dori: Hammer, I got great news!
Sledge Hammer: What, you can finally buy guns from vending machines?

Well gun deaths are down 50% in the last 20 years, so, 'nothing more than we are doing now," should lead to a continued decrease.

1 Like

Loved that show.

1 Like

This doesn’t happen unless the shop is selling guns illegally under the table (which would get them closed by the ATF if caught).

The only conceivable way fro this to happen is some how you had a 20 year old come in with a fake ID, fill out and lie on a form, and the fake ID was for a real person who could pass the background check. At any rate, the person attempting to buy the gun is committing blatant fraud on many levels. Unless the gun shop employs a psychic or a counterfeit ID expert, how are they supposed to stop that level of fraud and why would they be held responsible?

I remember that show. IIRC the screen used gun was at auction not that long ago. IIRC it was a S&W 629. I have a S&W 629 Classsic, which has the heavier full sized under lug.

We still don’t know what is causing that decrease. Some have postulated the decrease in lead in gasoline. Some have postulated the increased militarization of police and broken window policing - which of course brings up the issue that gun deaths by police officers are not officially recorded as required by law.

Why would we settle for “oh, it’s a little less than it used to be” when we might be able to get it even lower?

The slew of rights violations that would be necessary would be a pretty good reason not to take certain actions.

1 Like

Passing a law that limits the manufacture and purchase of bullets wouldn’t violate any constitutional rights since the 2nd amendment only references arms, not ammunition.

They would do mini-satires in the episodes, like when he was in the park and they reenacted the biplane scene from “North By Northwest” with a model plane. It was nice seeing him in “Burn After Reading” as a CIA agent.

“Doreaux” was married to Michael Crichton and is living the life of a rich divorcee. .

Well considering the whole “militia” bit historically required militiamen to bring their own guns and ammo by law, there is a pretty good argument that ammo is integral to the arms. The limiting of ammo also violates the notion of a right to self defense as a gun without ammo is pretty much a useless hunk of metal.

Nope. Yesterday on NPR’s The Takeaway:

I think that’s not even meant to be taken seriously and is just driving trollies.

Also, a 50% decrease is quite a bit more than, “a little less than it used to be.”

That’s still too many. Anymore deaths by gun violence other than unavoidable accidents are too many.

Didn’t see anything there about gun shops selling to underage buyers. I don’t have time to listen to the whole thing.

Possibly, but i’ve heard that argument before spoken earnestly

Not everybody gets to sit at the grownups table,.

1 Like

any deaths are too many? Do you feel that way about all death and would you be willing to violate the rights of people in order to stop all non-natural death? Because that’s a pretty grim rabbithole to travel down. If not, then what makes gun deaths special? Or maybe it’s that, to you, gun owners are special and you have no problem violating their rights because you have sufficiently othered them.

1 Like

You’d think if these ‘smart gun’ technologies were so good, that police departments would be lining up to use them. After all, the top excuse for officer involved shootings is ‘He went for my gun.’ However, police unions have been pretty resistant to the idea.