Guns pass cars as top killer of children in U.S.

Originally published at: Guns pass cars as top killer of children in U.S. | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Here in America we protect the rights and freedoms of a diverse group of firearms by anointing them with the blood of our youngest patriots.

It may seem unusual at first, but we believe in lots of unlikely things - for example, the rights of corporations to speak with their wallets, and the importance of protecting capitalism by sacrificing our elderly to the gods of the pandemic.

33 Likes

And the only acceptable solution: moar guns.

18 Likes

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

23 Likes

Cars keep getting safer while guns become ever deadlier and more ubiquitous. But the government can only regulate one because it didn’t even exist when the founding fathers failed to think things through.

30 Likes

Well, let’s see how the ammosexuals try to BS their way out of this one. No points for any re-runs.

15 Likes

The littlest Ogles does not appear to be holding a firearm, although apparently big enough*. How can they participate in the defence of their family and possessions?

Or (gasp!) have they been showing signs of wokeness? That card with expressions of peace and goodwill must be causing the parents some concern.

*Taller than an AR-15.

13 Likes

Sad Anthony Anderson GIF

13 Likes

21 Likes

Moloch must be very happy. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

11 Likes

15 Likes

16 Likes

We just need to teach our kids “Look both ways before crossing the bad guy with the gun.

/s

4 Likes

Why Nearly All Mass Shooters Are Men : NPR

A staggering 98% of these crimes have been committed by men, according to The Violence Project, a nonpartisan research group that tracks U.S. mass shooting data dating back to 1966.

So, is the problem actually men? Specifically cis men? Maybe. Or is it the culture of guns and masculinity? Possibly. On thing is certain, it is not about trans people in any way at all…

20 Likes

This is actually even worse than it seems, as the other leading cause of death, automobile collisions, is also many times worse than “comparable nations.” What I’m curious about is what our “peer” countries really are, when it comes to child gun deaths - it’s not rich, developed nations, for so many issues. I’m guessing it’s places where armed conflict is occurring, like Iraq. Our real peers are (other) broken countries.

“Funny” story… Cars are getting safer, but that doesn’t necessarily mean fewer people are dying. Unlike our “peer” countries, where that is true, the US has been getting worse in that regard, thanks to how many SUVs and trucks are being driven and how much more dangerous they are to pedestrians. It’s totally counteracted all the increased safety features. (Also, traffic accident deaths in general increased during the pandemic in the US, too…)

And the US already had far more motor vehicle crash deaths than “comparable” countries, too:

12 Likes

Part of the issue, which doesn’t show up in the infographics you’ve just posted is “miles driven”. People drive thousands of miles more in a year in the US compared to any “peer” country. In addition, mass transit is terrible to non-existant in most large cities, we allow unfettered vehicular access to almost every downtown in the country - this is a recipe for pedestrian and bicyclist deaths.

12 Likes

This is true - though I did see some some study that looked at miles driven, and the US was particularly bad for pedestrian deaths by that metric as well - because, as you say, of the unfettered vehicular access to dense pedestrian spaces (which other “peer” countries have realized is not good). It’s not just avoidable, the US is moving in the wrong direction.

All of which makes the gun deaths, which exist in comparison to traffic accidents, that much worse.

9 Likes

Well, here’s me not in America and I look at that photo and just can’t get my head around how the Ogles can think that is a depiction of a safe and loving family environment.

8 Likes

Turns out an armed society is a sick and dying society unable to raise a single generation of children.

Guns do not make us freeer. Guns do not make us safer. These are nothing but lies.

15 Likes

The whole concept of an “SUV” is kind of a scam—in that, it’s a car, that’s regulated like a truck :confused:

9 Likes