Guy asks "Why are coffee mugs left handed?"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/12/guy-asks-why-are-coffee-mugs-left-handed.html

6 Likes

I’m right-handed, and I hold my coffee cup in my left hand. That way, I can enjoy my coffee and scribble notes, make a phone call, etc. Never really thought about it before. Glad you brought it up. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

So you can do right handed stuff while showing your mug art to the world?

My coffee mug is ambidextrous. Right handed is the final 1973-74 EFL second division table, with Carlisle United in the promotion places, left handed is Liverpool legend Bill Shankly saying it was “the greatest feat in the history of the game”.

10 Likes

As a left-handed introvert, I beg to differ. Standard coffee cups are designed for right-handed introverts or left-handed extroverts.

20 Likes

robo
Robocup disagrees with you.

15 Likes

I’m not seeing it.

20 Likes

hey i fixed it:

“Why are these particular coffee mugs that I chose to feature in my video left handed?”

11 Likes

Some days I’m introverted, some days extroverted, some days in between.

10 Likes

That conversation then inspired this:

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 14.08.23

3 Likes

as a lefty, let me say: welcome to a tiny, TINY glimpse into my world. now imagine if basically EVERYTHING worked that way for you.

8 Likes

Villeroy and Boch have a beautiful service called New Wave - but I don’t think it can possibly be used by left-handed people:

3 Likes

Why would drinking from a mug be a performative act? The presumption that mugs are made and used as an outward display seems really strange to this solo-dwelling introvert.

12 Likes

That is the reason! Coffee is for multitaskers!

Unfortunately, it’s just another instance of right-handed hegemony.

1 Like

How many mugs of coffee are drunk in front of companions, compared to mugs of coffee drunk alone or at a desk?

6 Likes

Coffee mugs like most everything else made, is manufactured by right handers… the fist thing you must do is sell the mug. and to get a good look at the design you need to pick it up. the vast majority of people are right handed and grab the mug with their right hand to inspect the design.

1 Like

I am so glad to see this!

I’ve been complaining to my wife about it for years. I’ve told her not to buy me mugs unless they’re right handed.

As a lefty I actually don’t know what hand I use to drink coffee.

(edit)

Never mind.

6 Likes

3 Likes

I envisage battery-powered levitating handle-less mugs that orient any fucking way the brain-damaged drinker desires.

Oh, about coffee, When I awake before caffeine, I’m a GOP. After the first cup, I evolve into a Dem. After the next cup, I’m a fully-realized Green.

People are fucking WEIRD, yo.

9 Likes