Guy puts a camera onto a sushi conveyor belt and the result is a sweet little movie

It’s interesting that not a single diner, even the ones taken by surprise, was upset, outraged, or irritated – they were amused, delighted, or just curious. Most posed, laughed, and enjoyed the moment.

But Americans seeing this second-hand on BoingBoing, well, we’re outraged for them, so thank goodness we have their backs.

5 Likes

The footage of the other cameras was not uploaded to YouTube.

Haven’t you noticed the guy that gave the middle finger?

2 Likes

I did notice the teen who gave it a middle finger and laughed along with his friends. He certainly didn’t look angry and nobody bothered to turn the camera away to prevent themselves being filmed.

3 Likes

He posted a link to the original video on YouTube in a second tweet, for what it’s worth.

I was thinking that i would not be happy if some jackass decided to record an entire restaurant without getting permission. I don’t even like when people i know decide to start including me in pictures/videos without asking. And if this was in Japan i know some businesses are very particular about allowing photography without clearing it with the establishment first, when i was there last year there were definitely some places that were strict about the rule.

4 Likes

“He’s trying to be funny. It’s not funny, it’s weird. Go away.”

Wow, she pretty much nailed it.

3 Likes

Next he’ll put the camera in the sushi, so he can look at them from inside as well.

2 Likes

I love, truly love, the idea of this for a shot. But ideally diners and staff would have been informed and allowed to opt out of being in the restaurant while the camera is filming.

2 Likes

I made the mistake of googling sushi spy cam. Don’t, especially at work.

2 Likes

I don’t know about the site, but my thoughts on photography and filming have changed over the years. Even though I don’t like admitting it from the perspective of “artist” I have to admit that there are problems with our casual attitude about publishing other people’s images without consent and what that can mean. Otherwise I start to experience painful amounts of cognitive dissonance. I’ve come to see personally that the precedent set with early photography to mid-century photography and film has increasingly unpleasant consequences in an age where cameras are literally everywhere and pretty much everyone has one at any moment. It’s the combination of the proliferation of cameras and the way that digital publishing and content works. Not only could this pose a threat for some people who are for one reason or another in a position of increased risk, it’s also a period where generally for the average person your image can be used for any purpose while also being attached to your name and identity in a tremendously visible way, and it is the burden of the person being violated in this way to do anything about it. The innocence is over, so far as I’m concerned. I think it’s only natural in this kind of a climate tor people to resent the intrusion of a camera on their sense of comfort and safety in their local environment, even when it’s well-intentioned.

2 Likes

Wow, geez. I work from home and it’s still NSFW.

1 Like

GoPro + ebay == ~$100. Next time you see one grab it.

1 Like

With the advent of surveillance culture and every device being a camera, I really think that masks ought to become stylishly acceptable (obligatory Princess Bride reference). That is, some of us would rather not have our visage preserved, (not even fond of having to look into the @#$ mirror to shave) Some sort of Venice carnival scene for preference. And just think of the electronic options a mask would provide! “HeadsUpMasks Inc.”

Oh relax. It’s not like it’s a video in a brothel. :grinning:

Good call:

“I want a doctor to take your picture
So I can look at you from inside as well”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.