Restaurant chain in Japan suffers $125 million stock market loss after video of customer spitting on conveyor-belt sushi goes viral

Originally published at: Restaurant chain in Japan suffers $125 million stock market loss after video of customer spitting on conveyor-belt sushi goes viral | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Some may knock it but the best sushi I’ve ever had was in a conveyor belt ¥100/plate sushi place in Osaka. This was before TikTok so I’m going to assume there was little to no saliva on it before it reached me.

sushi GIF

11 Likes

ugh, so american-style TikTok stunts are spreading to other countries? super.

3 Likes

Office Boss GIF

13 Likes

That’s what I have been told by a Japanese born USian friend, never had it myself. Unfortunately the sushi train in my town is of cheap quality, but it really is served from a large gauge model railroad layout sooo what’s not to love?

4 Likes

FAFO.

9 Likes

The last paragraph of the article is somehow more inhumane than the rest of it:

For example, in a video posted Jan. 18, a young Japanese woman takes an older homeless woman to a convenience store in Nagoya, west of Tokyo, pretending to buy the woman food. But the young woman abandons her at the cash register and runs away, laughing.

Soulless.

16 Likes

These places make money by catering to families. They have loss leaders that are worth more than 100 Yen, but this is offset by cheaper things that children prefer like tamagoyaki. Of course, these days, they will often have a single item that’s on two plates or even three plates stacked together. Still, really good sushi at a really good price.

7 Likes

The incident actually happened in Gifu, which is a suburb of Nagoya. The chain is headquartered in Osaka.

4 Likes

whoever filmed the stunt should be locked up too

1 Like

Absolutely. On the last night of my 2019 trip, I headed out to a suburb of Osaka to visit the original kaitenzushi place - I’d found details of it on this blog:

Great food at a good price - most plates were ¥125, about £0.90 at the time. As the only westerner in the place I got some intrigued looks from the staff. Especially when I ordered and tucked into this little beaut:

Natto on a type of nigiri called gunkanmaki - the nori wrapped around the outside forms a kind of bowl on top for the topping - heaven!!!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.