Gym tells woman her breasts 'too large' for tank top

Well, I notice in the story she was there with her husband. It’s quite possible the comments would have come more directly if she wasn’t.

7 Likes

Out of interest, can I ask why? It seems the few times Planet Fitness have made news, they’ve had the moral high ground. Just wondering if there’s something I’ve missed. I have heard they take dudes eyeballing women pretty seriously, but that kind of thing could be misinterpreted by idiot staff as “make the women look like Little House on the Prairie rejects so men have nothing to look at.”

2 Likes

Woman returns in the turret of an M1 Abrams tank, levels main gun at gym, and says “How about now?”

4 Likes

What kind of stupid gym would do such a thing?

Don’t they realize women spilling out of tight tank tops is a major draw?!?

Do you think I do this repetitive physical stress just for my health?

3 Likes

Again, let’s spell it out: female management were enforcing policies specifically having to do with the male gaze. This is just as demeaning as the more typical wolf whistle.

8 Likes

I freely admit it is based on bias of negative press, but IIRC there was another story where some woman working out hard made some other people uncomfortable. They have the “lunk alarm”. In general they seem to have the rep of a place where they only want out of shape people who only occasionally work out, but mostly just pay their gym fees. Fitness nuts, people who like to exercise a lot, are putting too much wear on the machines and making everyone else feel bad.

But again - this opinion is mostly based on feels, not verifiable facts.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s the fabric, or the coverage. It’s the shame, that she didn’t have (because why would she). For some folks with just a tiny portion of power, they just want to use it however they can, because it’s all they have.

6 Likes

they only want out of shape people who only occasionally work out, but mostly just pay their gym fees

Ha, that’s totally me. I don’t go when the weather is nice enough that I can bike to work, but I keep my membership going, since it’s only $10/mo.

1 Like

The irony is, things like a crew-neck shirt will make a large bosom look even larger. So you’ve technically covered it up, but at the same time made it seem more prominent. It’s a weird optical illusion, but a neckline that shows some cleavage actually makes large breasts seem less prominent.

7 Likes

The larger culture seems to be making slow progress with women’s beasts being used to feed babies. What will it take for some compassion for women whose beasts make it hard to exercise? I’m a monkey with shoes, I appreciate their beauty, but I’ve also known women who can’t run because their tits are too big. And running is a pleasure I wouldn’t deny to anyone, no matter how good looking they are.

As long as women’s social roles are defined and limited by the male gaze, we live in a partriarchy. One shouldn’t have to be female to have a problem with this, any more than one needs to be black to oppose apartheid, or gay to oppose sexual discrimination.

18 Likes

Eh, naming them here would just be doxxing for the purpose of getting strangers to call and harass these employees. While they may be in the wrong (assuming the story is true and unbiased), the Internet Outrage Machine can be wildly-over-reactive at times.

The story as stated here provides enough information for people to register their displeasure towards the gym in question, and for the supervisors at the gym to figure out who was at fault and take action as necessary.

10 Likes

Sad. These clubs know that their bread and butter is body shaming.

One reason why I don’t go to the gym anymore is because private trainers would come up to me fairly often, make underhanded comments about how much of a fat slob or weak pussy that I am, then offer their expensive services.

“Yeah brah. I saw you were struggling with the plates on that machine. I used to be like you brah. But I vot tired of being such a pansy ass. I told myself ‘hey, you’re a disgusting fat slob’. I can schedule some private sessions four times a week.”

7 Likes

My ex purchased a membership to a local “Curves” (or it’s analog, I don’t know if it was part of the actual chain) because it’s three blocks away. She was pretty much told not to wear fitted exercise gear, just baggy sweats. The thing is, other women were wearing tight gear like hers, but they were all a lot larger people than her.

So the gist was if you’re more fit than the general crowd then you have to cover it up.

1 Like

Is it covering everyhing?

Does it seem that everything will stay contained?

If yes to both Shut Up. It is the lady’s business what she finds comfortable to work out in.

2 Likes

Private trainers in my last gym would
just monopolize the equipment and waste time on them discussing things, I can’t stand how the industry goes out of its way to simultaneously make its customers feel unwanted but make it so difficult to quit.

2 Likes

it’s called jealousy.

2 Likes

Came for the creepy comments about ogling women, sadly disappointed that I found them.

10 Likes

Oh, it was beyond easy for me to quit.

“Wait, so I go to a place where I am going to do at best mindnumbingly boring stuff. A place where I usually leave tired and in pain. And the employees intentionally are emotionally abusive to try and manipulate me into buying their services? I think I’ll just sit on a park bench, get slurring drunk on malt liquor and meet cool dogs instead.”

14 Likes

Totally the other way around. Either you’re being ogled and drooled over, or the personal trainers (more like “impersonal sociopaths”) try to sell you on sessions while a constant stream of negging dribbles out of their ichorous pieholes.

“You look real unhealthy brah, what do you press? Have you seen a nutritionist? Hey dawg, take it easy on the stair stepper, we just got this baby in today. Maybe you’d be more comfortable walking around the gym instead? I thought you only came in for fruit smoothies. Anyway, if you want to get rid of your disgusting sweaty fatrolls, I’m free 2:30 to 4 tuesday through friday. You should come in and train with me four times a week for $150 a session bro. I’m saying it because I care. You’re just so fat.”

2 Likes

Oh, I meant through bureaucracy, contract reqs, demands that you go through hoops and not the simple desire to get out.

2 Likes