HacBook puts new Mac OS on old HP laptop

who in gods name uses swiss cheese for mac and cheese?

7 Likes

People who want less flour and milk filler.

3 Likes

One reasons why you’d run Mac is to be able to develop applications for ios. And trying to fool the person who issues developer keys is a bit of a risk.

LOL.

1 Like

Yeah, macaroni is evidently fancy, and 200 years have gotten us spinach and carrot colors -plus- other things. So…it really looks like the same concept as a 2003 HP laptop with 10.10 X eX or whatever on it.

3 Likes

It’s required for non-non gebnif nif shukot, the 38-day gazebo bender vacation required as a part of health care starting in 2017 (but only if you’ve heard the term ‘canuckistan.’)

5 Likes

I’m torn on this one.

If you check here, there’s instructions on how to install Mac OS on this laptop. You can get a refurb one for a couple hundred bucks. If you think having someone else go through the headache of installing Mac OS for you is worth $150, though, there’s that…though you can probably get a 2013 Macbook for the same price.

1 Like

No thanks. Maybe if HP makes more, eh?

1 Like

Perhaps you’re mixing up the garbage “Swiss cheese” commonly found in grocery stores with Gruyere or Emmental, as per traditional fondue (and the right amount of acid). Besides, the king of non-roux emulsification has always been 'Merican (or egg if you’re super-clever). Mmmmm. Excuse me: I have some arteries to clog.

1 Like

Screw hackintoshes, get me a way to image a VM on demand with the latest OSX and minimal shenanigans.

2 Likes

Macaroni has been fancy for a long time now.

1 Like

Hackintoshes will get more and more popular, if Apple continue de-emphasizing Mac and dragging their feet instead of releasing some decent new hardware. Competitors have caught up so much, I’m really tempted to try building one myself.

now I’m hungry, apple and cheese tartlets are delicious.

1 Like

Well the claim to be the same as a 2013 MacBook may be eyebrow-raising to you but it appears to be correct according to this website:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP691?locale=en_US

Apart from the higher resolution screen with much better display quality, Two generation newer processor, much improved GPU power, All SSD storage, AC wifi and a case that’s substantially less chunky, yep they’re identical.

3 Likes

We have many such doorstops in our office (mainly towers though), and soon to be one more as Apple have decided my old but perfectly good Mac Pro is not allowed to run anything newer than OS X 10.6. Thanks Apple!

5 Likes

Sound a lot closer to my budget, if still outside of it.

My wife wants a desktop Mac, though, and is spurning all thoughts of a laptop. AAARGH.

Why would someone deliberately inflict the horror that is OS X on themselves without Apple hardware as compensation?

3 Likes

Assuming we’re talking about someone willing to inflict themselves with OSX (over Linux or Win): the benefits of hardware choice. Apple hardware might be great, but the choices are rather limited. Even their top-of-the-line (overpriced) desktop sports 2-3 year old hardware, and doesn’t even support full-length GPU cards, so no gtx 970/980/1070/1080/Titan X for you.

3 Likes

Well it depends how pendantic you decide to go with Swiss cheese definitions. The world is specifically describing US made emmental-like products that are universally awful compared to the original, but I have seen it use to describe pretty much anything that looks like emmental.

I would prefer to use egg, a cajun roux, and jarlsberg with a splash of milk and something strong and hard (probably the sharpest cheddar I can find). Probably with mustard and seasoned salt or a salty garam masala (I use masala if I make it during the winter holidays to match the seasoning of the other foods). It’s smooth with a much stronger flavor than typical homemade mac and cheese.

That or I’ll use a box with cheese-like sauce, because while it’s not great it’s good enough.

3 Likes