HacBook puts new Mac OS on old HP laptop

Oh I agree that spec for spec, they are overpriced; that’s what’s been putting me off.

But I’ve recently come into possession of an old Macbook Pro, and even though it’s several years old and has no working battery, I’m forced to admit it’s still the nicest laptop I’ve ever used. So the Apple mystique doesn’t appear to be all spin.

But OS X

*shudders*

1 Like

The 5k imacs are nice machines.

1 Like

“You see that, Bunny?”
“Oh dear, me, Cliven, what are they thinking?”
“So gauche! It certainly is true what they say, you can’t teach taste!”
“Those poor dears, though, living in a world with such poor screen resolution.”
“Oh pish tosh, Bunny, there’s nothing to be done for it. It’s how the market determines value you know.”
“Oh, certainly, Cliven, but I just can’t imagine…”
“There there, darling, look, would another three million in the college fund for little Brock make it better?”
“Oh, yes, can we? I do so want him to never have to suffer anything less than 4k.”

1 Like

One thing about MacOSX-- the designers expect you to have the latest machine. The current system typeface looks impressive on a retina display. On a proletarian display, I’d prefer Lucida Grande.

I’ve still got a couple of G4s, but can’t find any decent OS to put on them.

1 Like

I have/had a few- depending on the exact vintage, I seem to recall them running 10.5.x or so. There’s even a Firefox fork for them that makes browsing the web not a totally horrid experience.

I don’t think there have been any security patches, for quite some time, for any version of MacOS that will run on a G4. But I could be wrong!

1 Like

Label turns to Fruit SOAP

I read Fruit Soup as I scrolled my merry way down the page and had to scroll back up as I had questions as to how to utilize an apple in a tasty fruit soup.

I was disappointed. But I suppose my apple would be clean.

You’re likely not wrong.
As much of a sweet nostalgic spot as I have for those machines, finding any real use for one is… difficult… at this point. I occasionally try, but yeah. Mostly they sit on the shelf.
That said, I’m the sort of idiot that buys an Xserve for my home machine, so take my advice with a fair heap of salt.

What this promises is the ability to run MacOSX on something that isn’t a Mac.
The question is, why would you want to do this? Apple doesn’t design the MacOS around a third party machine. Things break, and Apple won’t fix them. Now, If you wanted to design a IOS program, you could use this, but because your serial number is fake, Apple could mess with your ability to publish this program (actually use the app on an IOS device) without batting an eye. And all of these could turn out to be expensive propositions for someone who can’t afford a legit mac.

“I’m sorry. i can’t hear you over the sound of my awesomeness.”

2 Likes

Hooo-boy, it is LOUD. Hell, it’s even loud when the damn thing’s off (because the power supply has it’s own fan that runs…). And it’s big. And it weighs a damn ton.
But it is pretty awesome.
I have it running between 3pm and 11pm only (unless I’m working from home), as it’s power consumption is… significant. As in: idles at around 200W. So there’s that.
It’s the cost of awesome, I suppose…

1 Like

The iLamp behind me is my work media player :wink:

But no, I haven’t found any other use for them.

I made a HackinMac back in the day from the wonderful Dell 9 platform. It was a great little machine for a year or so till I tried to update it. D’oh!
By that time Apple had made it impossible to use their Os on any other machine. But it really worked wonderfully during that year. An AirBook before its time.
Always wondered why they did not want to sell there software.

once bitten, twice shy.

http://lowendmac.com/2014/apple-squeezes-mac-clones-out-of-the-market/

2 Likes

So Cool! Thanks jerwin.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.