Halloween belongs to David S. Pumpkins

Originally published at: Halloween belongs to David S. Pumpkins | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Snl Any Questions GIF by Saturday Night Live

28 Likes

I still suspect that the name was inspired by that of actor Paul F. Tompkins, but I doubt we’ll ever have confirmation. David S. Pumpkins is a force unto himself and should remain so.

12 Likes

The ‘S.’ in ‘David S. Pumpkins’ of course, stands for: Simon.

6 Likes

I…have somehow never seen this. Or been aware of it. Huh. Pretty funny, though.

10 Likes

I just saw Paul and Phil for the first time (Graveyard Song), I feel like it’s got the same energy and maybe a little funnier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfB3gFrbthM

5 Likes

Thank you. That got a giggle out of me.

6 Likes

Well, now I’ve seen that. I’d always wondered, but never understood the reference. I can add that to “more cowbells,” which I only finally saw this year as well for the first time.

Life goes on.

5 Likes

I saw an interview with Hanks where he was mystified by and kind of bemoaned the popularity of David Pumpkins. It was in the vein of, “All the great work I’ve done in my career, and my tombstone will read, Here Lies David Pumpkins”

5 Likes

Of course, like any decent human being I love the David Pumpkins sketch. But this one has become my new favorite around Halloween. Oh my God, the ending. So heartbreaking. So hilarious. So emotionally brutal. So very NSFW.

5 Likes

He’s just saying what we’re all thinking, right…? Right?!

Yes! Several!

5 Likes

Bored Anna Wintour GIF

4 Likes

Care for a drink? I’m not sure what it is, but it’s got a kick.

15 Likes

you demand we respect it because YOU remember it.

Gen X is very nostalgic for the 2010’s. It was that generation’s heyday. /s

ETA: Sarcasm tag because along with their knees, Gen X’s sarcasm detector ain’t what it used to be.

4 Likes

Try the 1990s. The generational clout may have shifted during the 2010s from Boomers to Millenials, but we didn’t get to enjoy it.

5 Likes

woah! is that what we’re calling the twitter generation now?

1 Like

I’m trying to support Banabanana’s case that David S Pumpkins is peak Gen X nonsense, as Gen X’s cultural zenith was clearly 2016.

I refuse to use a sarcasm tag for this obvious nonsense.

1 Like

2010s were not any heyday for GenX. Don’t know about others but I’m not nostalgic for them.

As @gracchus said, the transfer of wealth/power from the Boomer to Gen X never happened…we’re here and maybe running things in many instances but the Boomers still own it. /broad generalization.

4 Likes

Wait…am I permitted to find the sketch mildly charming for Hanks’ and the others’ energy while still being ultimately forgettable? What generation does that put me in? I hope it’s a fun one overall, and not one where I’m forced to fight in trench warfare or ruin avocado toast or whatever.

13 Likes