Hang the Jedi

I was shocked to find out that The Abyss never saw a Blu-Ray release. It’s rumored to finally come out next year, hopefully with the correct version on it! I was really quite surprised when I first saw the longest version I could scrounge up from the depths of the internet after only knowing the paltry TV cut.

1 Like

In the US at least, appointments of general officers (i.e., generals and admirals) must be confirmed by the US Senate.

1 Like

What was the point of that movie? I am not running out to rent it anytime soon.

Actually, the original trilogy jedi are NOT what Lucas has made them to be in his early 2000’s turds.

If you listen at what Obi-Wan and Yoda are saying, what should have been shown is something much more akin to the Chinese world of Jiang-Hu: a number of very loosely connected masters and practitioners who could be classified within two broad categories: Light and Dark sides. The idea of a very centralised semi-religious order with a huge academy taking on children from infancy just doesn’t fit the genre that was associated with the jedi. It even went do far into ridicule as to make what clearly were specifically Tatoine desert clothes (every human wears mostly the same kind of clothes) into a more or less uniform of the jedi.

Going back to the story, taking advantage of such roots, we would then have a wandering master/hermit (Yoda) who sometimes took on students (such as Obi-Wan) to whom he taught what he could. Unfortunately, although a good teacher himself (as seen with Luke), it doesn’t mean he was a good master’s master (i.e. completely able to impart what was necessary for his disciples to become good masters themselves).

That would explain much better why Obi-Wan could decide, upon meeting him, to take Anakin’s training upon himself: because there was noone around to tell him he was making a mistake (especially in such a wide galaxy).

4 Likes

Funny how often that happens.

7 Likes

3 Likes

Sigh. More fascist genocide apologism, this time from a supposed “liberal.”

Well whatever. Fiction never has an effect on the real world, right?

Moorcock’s Starship Stormtroopers

2 Likes

Yoda has got to be the go-to whenever some contrarian commenter comes along with this new trend of “re-boots, prequels, sequels, etc…don’t change the originals, go cry in your star wars sheets, nerd.” He went from mysterious ageless magical swamp-dwelling wiseman to “hey Yoda, what’s up, no one’s seen you in like…oh, 16 years…that’s not actually that long”

2 Likes

Seriously, what an incredibly sloppy use of that phrase.

I hate that aspect of it. The Director’s Cut is a night and day difference imho. It still has the rough-looking mattes and comps, and still has the weird split-screen focus so they could use CRTs on set, the pacing is still slow, and so on, but it’s so much better. And the finished movie deserves to be in HD.

3 Likes

Exactly. In Empire and Jedi, you don’t see Luke donning desert garb at all. There’s no indication that it’s standard practice for a Jedi to dress like a space wizard. He actually looks more like a knight, which is the point.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.