Hanna-Barbera's 'The Banana Splits' to return as a horror movie

I’m pretty sure that exposure to Sid & Marty Krofft’s shows as a child did some kind of permanent damage to my brain. I’m also not gonna start with the 'they’re ruining my childhood!" stuff, because they aren’t. It’s way too late for that. They’re ruining some other kid’s childhood now.

6 Likes

Wow, this really takes me back. My mom wouldn’t let my brother and I watch it, I assume because she thought it might have hippie influence.

1 Like

Finally an opportunity to reclaim the “la la la” riff Bob Marley took when he made Buffalo Soldier!

1 Like

Just throw Denis Villeneuve at it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And an awesome theme song.

2 Likes

I still want a banana buggy.

5 Likes

Obvious scum friend dies in some “poetic” way, good friend dies unexpectedly in jump scare, Harley and his mom survive and the movie finishes with an off center shot hinting to the Splits surviving whatever method they used to “stop” them.

I can only hope they go for a overly deep, horribly confusing and cheesy sub plot about why these beloved characters kill. No really, I want some super goofy horror to rewatch.

1 Like

Somebody’s on your wavelength:

And I confess I would probably watch that.

1 Like

Wait, are the Splits the protagonists? I need a new comedy horror send up in my life where a children’s entertainer in a character suit, or better yet, inexplicably real anthropomorphic cartoony character kills a stereotypical horror movie murderer to save the day.

And looky! Banana mics!

The BS tv show was too late for my childhood but I got a great second chance w/ my yellow Dickies 45.

I recently exposed a friend, in his late 30’s, to the Banana Splits, HR Puffenstuff and the Hudson Bros shows. He chuckled a little bit and then just shook his head in disbelief. “They’re so bad…” The sibs and I watched them, mimicked them and watched them some more. They were great but really, they were so bad.

3 Likes

First off… just look at it, ferchissake!

And then…
The Banana Splits and horror movies are what made me the man I am today.

1 Like

The Zombie Apocalypse is upon us.

1 Like

Lidsville was another one in the same general category.

2 Likes

why why why does hollywood have to shit all over my childhood?

6-wheel Amphicat cars??? love it - always wanted one

Banana Splits? fun music, silliness, good times

Yes, the Krofft Brothers were whacked out of their minds - but it was fun -

2 Likes

'Cause they were Puffenstuff, of course. Innocent, fun, crappy production values but, really, who cared? Not me, for sure.

1 Like
6 Likes

“ZOWIE, cavey!!”

I would so watch that!

Next up, Wacky Death Race 2000, with Muttley as a murder-dog and Penelope Pitstop in pink PVC.
Shit, did I just write a treatment that would sell?

5 Likes

Do you owe me a coca-cola?

2 Likes

Didn’t they also do the Bugaloos?
For drug-inspired madness, you can’t beat the original Gumby and Pokey claymation.

2 Likes