Hansel and Gretel – a thrilling grim version by Neil Gaiman

[Read the post]

If you look into them, almost all fairy tales are horror stories. This is why children need them.

7 Likes

I think Hänsel and Gretel is one that is pretty grim even in the popular versions. Not even Disney managed to turn that one into something cute.

5 Likes

Check out the movie “Whoever slew Auntie Roo” with Shelly Winters.

1 Like

(Disney Television Studios, circa 1982)

PRODUCER: “Here’s a plot outline about child abandonment, enslavement, imprisonment, witchcraft, murder and cannibalism. We need to turn it into a family film appropriate for all ages. You have until Thursday.”

TIM BURTON: “Can it have Kung Fu and robots?”

PRODUCER: “Sure, why not.”

8 Likes

Are we sure that Wikipedia didn’t dream that?

4 Likes

We are talking early 80s Hollywood, so I imagine there was a whole lot of cocaine involved.

5 Likes

Why do I need Neil Gaiman’s remake?

1 Like

Because his money pit isn’t quite overflowing enough

1 Like

Because Neil Gaiman?

3 Likes

Neil Gaiman was on Arthur? How did I miss that? Well other than not really watching TV for a long long time.

3 Likes

And the Simpsons…

1 Like

I know we’re all supposed to think Neil Gaiman hung the Moon, but I just . . . . don’t. I’ve read a couple of his novels, including American Gods, and found them interesting ideas coupled to pedestrian execution. It’s rather like Stephen King creating the Dark Tower world and then telling a story in it about selling used cars.

1 Like

As long as Alan Moore is staying away from the story.

If he got his mitts on it there would be a lot of freaky tantric/incest bits in there. I still have PTSD from Lost Girls.

1 Like

Fair enough. I happen to love his work. Each to their own!

1 Like

Sandman was freakin great at the time, it made his reputation. I’ve been less and less impressed with everything he’s done since but I dont begrudge him his (supposed) $18M fortune either.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.