Happy 100th birthday to MAD Magazine's Al Jaffee!

Originally published at: Happy 100th birthday to MAD Magazine's Al Jaffee! | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Nice to see someone who’s brought joy and laughter into the world reaching this milestone in reasonably good shape. Happy birthday, and thanks for all the fold-ins, inventions, and snappy answers.

24 Likes

Life would never ever be the same without Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions.

From a few years ago…

29 Likes

Here’s hoping he makes it to 200!

12 Likes

Let others make piles of money, but there’s a great deal to be said for making a decent living doing something you love that brightens the lives of countless others. Said “others” includes me, pushing 70.

Thanks, Al.

17 Likes

Nice! Check out that hair!

My dad introduced me to Mad as soon as I could read. It definitely influenced me, hopefully for the better. I always loved the fold-ins and, when I got older, Snappy Answers. Happy 100, Al!

16 Likes

Al is still sharp as a tack! Happy birth day ole man!

13 Likes

Lucky you, I had to very much hide mine!

7 Likes

He officially retired just last year, and Mad has found a new Fold-In artist.

7 Likes

Yep, Al Jaffee folded, rather than going all in.

11 Likes

Happy Solar Return

12 Likes

His early attempts at the Fold-Ins were not well received. It wasn’t successful until he went with a vertical rather than horizontal fold.

5 Likes

Thanks very much Al!
One of the highlights of visits to my grandma’s house when I was a kid was sneaking quietly up to the attic and looking through the pile of old Mad Magazines that were stashed up there. The oldest ones were thin comic books.
If I got caught, I had to go play outside.

5 Likes

May the next 100 be as good as the last! (…OK, maybe better.)

5 Likes

Don’t look a day under 90!

4 Likes

Mad brought me so much happiness as a kid. It’s just amazing to think that this man, whose cartoons I laughed at in 1959, is alive and enjoying life.

5 Likes

I’ve seen more than a few 60-ish year old folk who look like 100 year old Jaffee.

3 Likes

Yeah, he looks amazing. I wouldn’t have made the joke if he didn’t.

3 Likes

The reference to “multiblade razor” seriously undersells the drawing of someone shaving with the “Track LXXVI” (this was in the days when the ‘Track II’ was new) which featured a link-belt of 76 blades with a handle on each end that wraps around your face so you only need a couple of strokes to shave. This in a “MAD looks at shaving of the future” piece that also included laser shaving (which also happened, though without the integrated freon canister) and a bunch of other stuff that seared itself into my 10-year-old brain and bounced around in there for forty years with no outlet UNTIL TODAY. Now maybe I can reclaim those neurons for something else.

Or maybe I’ll keep them. Thanks Al!

3 Likes

I began reading Mad Magazine when I was in the sixth grade. The news dealer asked me how old I was. I told him he should be glad I can read! He laughed and sold me the magazine…for a quarter, I think. Don Martin was my favorite cartoonist.

4 Likes