MAD Magazine legend Al Jaffee retires at age 99

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/08/mad-magazine-legend-al-jaffee.html

16 Likes

The classic training manual for interacting on internet forums. The man had (presumably still has) prescience.

15 Likes

Hopefully he’s still sticking it to that Spiro Agnew guy.

14 Likes

May he enjoy decades of semi-retirement (because society needs his brilliant inventions – how many patents does he hold, anyhow?)

16 Likes

Hero material.

7 Likes

The sense of dread started with the first few words and I’ve never been happier to see the word “retires”.

21 Likes

Oh, gosh, I adore this man.

8 Likes

Same here.

5 Likes

In the spirit of “Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions”:

how to fold it just enough to see the hidden image without ruining the entire back cover?

Gee, I don’t know, maybe it will come to you when you finally figure out how to eat the sucker the nice lady at the bank gave you without removing the cellophane.

2 Likes

“Weird Willie Bleeps Al Jaffee” is a much loved, long missing collection from my childhood. Will never forget the gag with the mirror plastic kite and the high fence surrounding the nude sunbathing area…

4 Likes

How I loved Mad magazine when I was a kid! How wonderful that this man has had such a long career making people laugh in a generous and kind way.

13 Likes

Wow. That’s wild. You don’t often hear of people moving back to the shtetl. I can’t find out exactly why his mother would choose to do that.

Absolute Legend.
This man shaped MAD for decades and has earned his retirement. May he enjoy it for many decades to come.

5 Likes

He doesn’t hold any patents, despite several of his inventions coming to pass. Per his website:

Many of the inventions Jaffee imagined for MAD and his original books have come to fruition, including the smokeless ashtray, multi-roll toilet paper dispenser, rotating car parks, multiblade razors, snowboarding, and Spell Check. Would that he had taken out patents on any of them!

Though I believe Sam Popeil did seek his blessing for the smokeless ashtray and credit him on the patent.

10 Likes

The last of the “Usual gang of idiots” from my youth (apologies for the OK boomer” moment :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) has departed but I’m relieved he’s still kicking. The man’s a national treasure!

7 Likes

Here is art by the great Al Jaffee. Please flag it as violating community guidelines immediately, so that it is removed before anyone is damaged. Thank you.

jaffee_snappy-580x456

10 Likes

A national treasure! Such a brilliant, mischievous mind.

Couldn’t make it to 100 eh?

1. oh dear, my pen ran out of ink (shrug)
  2. my life’s work is done… are you laughing? good
  3. satire seems to be over-run by reality of late…

6 Likes
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.