Happy 101st birthday, Dean Martin!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/08/happy-101st-birthday-dean-mar.html

3 Likes

Happy Birthday, sir! I don’t know how you made it this far, but I’m glad you did.

4 Likes

Half a league, half a league…

5 Likes

Dean-o says that the 7th was yesterday, but thanks, pally!

5 Likes

Whoops. Thats all me.

3 Likes

dean was probably the kind of person who just celebrated the whole week, anyway. : )

12 Likes

Base and guitar - the Smothers Brothers?

2 Likes

Dino was one of the best, ever.

1 Like

I was always fascinated by the “smooth dude” persona. People like that seem from another planet even though we often find out that they’re as big a mess inside as any of us. Also interesting is that invariably in comedy duos the goofball: Jerry, Lou Costello, Tommy Smothers, Gracie Allen, is the control freak running the show.

3 Likes

The invisible trumpet player is really good in that video. The visible vibes player not so much. He keeps hitting the bars that don’t make any sounds… :smiley:

When you swim in the sea
And an eel bites your knee
That’s a moray…

6 Likes

You should celebrate at his favourite joint. Sadly, the Doheny location is gone, but there’s still a Hamburger Hamlet in Sherman Oaks.

1 Like

I used to live by the one on Sepulveda at National (?)

1 Like

My locations were Westwood Village and later Doheny (never saw him there myself). “Get thee to a bunnery!”

I saw him a couple times as a kid, the 80s in West LA were odd but fun.

2 Likes

martin must have made some of the first colorfueled movies so when the chorus line of girls showed up with multi color bathing suits it really did seem a joyous moment

“I’ve never enjoyed Christmas.”

Am I missing a Dean reference or has the author never enjoyed Christmas?

best spy EVAR

Dean in the Matt Helm series was inspiring