Happy Birthday, Buster Keaton(OCT 4th)

Originally published at: Happy Birthday, Buster Keaton(OCT 4th) | Boing Boing

9 Likes

For those who are curious, he would have been 127 this year.

Happy Birthday GIF

8 Likes

I have a few dozen VHS that have Keaton, Harold Lloyd, and very early Chaplin. Keaton & Loyd can hold their own against Chaplin any day.

7 Likes

5 Likes

“Comedians do funny things. Good comedians do things in funny ways.” - Buster Keaton

8 Likes
6 Likes

I rate them thusly:

1. Keaton
  2. Lloyd
  3. Charlie Chase
  4. Chaplin
1 Like

There’s a really good short on Keaton and the use of gags in his films on the defunct YT channel, Every Frame A Painting.

Also, YT should have all three parts of the in-depth & fascinating documentary, A Hard Act to Follow.

4 Likes

Here’s a recent set of clips which just underscore the amazing athleticism of this fabulous actor, (a standing back-flip? egads)…

(apologies for reddit link in general - tip o’ porkpie)

6 Likes

A standing backflip is just a warmup compared to the rest of his athletic abilities.

3 Likes

My recollection (from a film class) is that the family vaudeville act involved Buster’s father throwing him across the stage, against walls etc. Later in life, Buster went to a doctor to complain about frequent/strong headaches. The doctor ordered some x-rays which revealed that, somewhere along the way, Buster had fractured his neck.

That happened while filming Sherlock jr (I think… at any rate, as a grown-up). Landed the wrong way on a railway track during a stunt involving a moving train. Got up, did another take.
Like they say, comedy is hard.

3 Likes

More or less, although it wasn’t the train that got him, twas the water tower:

1 Like

It’s also a lot harder for me to enjoy Chaplin as much given what I know about his personal life.

A 35-year-old man knocking up his 15-year-old mistress (who he’d known since she was eight) was illegal, predatory and gross by 1920s standards.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.