Happy Bowiemas! Celebrate by listening to Bowie yucking it up impersonating other singers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/08/happy-bowiemas-celebrate-by-l.html

3 Likes

I just had this interesting David Bowie/John Lennon story pop up in my FB feed (of all places) today, as a matter of fact. David Bowie was talking about swiping a clever line from John, and having it backfire on him.

"Towards the end of the 70s, a group of us went off to Hong Kong on a holiday and John was in, sort of, house-husband mode and wanted to show Sean the world. And during one of our expeditions on the back streets a kid comes running up to him and says, “Are you John Lennon?” And he said, “No but I wish I had his money.” Which I promptly stole for myself.
[imitating a fan] “Are you David Bowie?”
No, but I wish I had his money.
It’s brilliant. It was such a wonderful thing to say. The kid said, “Oh, sorry. Of course you aren’t,” and ran off. I thought, “This is the most effective device I’ve heard.”

I was back in New York a couple of months later in Soho, downtown, and a voice pipes up in my ear, “Are you David Bowie?” And I said, “No, but I wish I had his money.”
“You lying bastard. You wish you had my money.” It was John Lennon."

7 Likes

I can’t believe that song was never released - it’s amazing. I think it really worked for “Bruce Springsteen,” too.

4 Likes

I like how he injected Iggy’s midwestern accent into his impersonation.

3 Likes

That’s cracking. What a versatile voice he had; though I thought that his Anthony Newley was actually him doing a David Bowie impression.

What must it be like to look in the mirror and see beauty and talent reflected back at you.

2 Likes

I’m not entirely sure that that last one is supposed to be Neil Young. It sounds a lot more like Tom Petty., especially the phrasing and note choices and melisma.

2 Likes

wtf is this “Bowiemas” bullshit. i love him as much as anyone, but i think even he would object to this sort of veneration.

I’d buy that he’s going for Dylan, but there’s certainly a lot of Marc Bolan in #2 impression.

2 Likes

Frank Sinatra, on the other hand, would probably make himself a nice veneration sandwich.

well of course. as the saying goes, it’s Frank’s world – we just live in it.

1 Like

Yukking. He was yukking it up. And his Springsteen is pretty generous. You can at least understand the lyrics in Bowie’s version.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.