"Happy" is Danny Elfman's first solo song in 36 years and it'll give you chills

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/30/happy-is-danny-elfmans-first-solo-song-in-36-years-and-itll-give-you-chills.html

3 Likes

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.
Wow.

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Edit: Are we not counting this as a solo release because it was on a soundtrack?

24 hours later, watching it again, still can’t get over how good this is–a perfect combination of visual and sound. I need to look at the people who worked on this, because it’s pinging some associations. Has anyone here seen Under The Skin? That same kind of skin-bag animation…

3 Likes

Very nice. Revisits the Beetlejuice/Men-in-Black four note march. And yes the cgi does appear to be based on Elfman’s physiognomy…

5 Likes

Easier to look at than 2020, plus it has a beat one can dance to.

8 Likes

Great track, wow!

how I feel about living in a semi-dystopian world turned upside down.

Semi-dystopian, how optimistic.

9 Likes

Obviously it doesn’t hurt that it’s his voice, but this sounds like some of the rushed questioning lines of Jack Skellington in What’s This? turned into more of a panicked fever dream.

3 Likes

I kind of wish he played guitar on it though. (I sound like a fricking boomer.)

2 Likes

The seizure kicked in before the chills

3 Likes

This is what happens when you play a Tiny Tim song at half speed.

1 Like

Has @beschizza been playing with the neural filters again?

11 Likes

A manic version:

3 Likes

I’m getting a real Tom Ellard / Severed Heads vibe from this. Lurvit!

2 Likes

That was weirdly Beatles-like.

1 Like

The Aliens were the second incarnation of the Beta Band, who might sound even more like Beatles on [even more] acid. Recommended.

2 Likes

Thank you. I’ve heard the name, and thought it was cool, but I don’t think I’ve ever actually listened to any Beta Band stuff. Quickly, Robin! To Spotify!

2 Likes

One of my old faves. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Can we get a flashing lights warning? I’m with RJMeelar on this.

3 Likes

pNGuqEG

8 Likes

Beta Band are so soooooo good.

I saw Steve Mason (ex Beta lead singer) live a couple of times last year, his newer work is equally impressive - “About the Light” is a cracking album with lots of gems like this:

2 Likes

I had not known this was a thing, now I know it is a thing. Thank you!.

2 Likes