Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

So cool! I will try that with the next bag full. Thank you.

3 Likes

First Zen fava bean shelling of 2021!

8 Likes

Pairs well with liver and chianti

8 Likes

You do want to be careful of where the liver is sourced from…

7 Likes

I think I posted a pic of the aerogarden at 30 days planted or so.
Here it is at just over 70:

The Thai basil is almost overwhelming, even though I’ve been eating it up like lettuce in hummus wraps.
The thyme (front right) had to lean off base to get some room.
The dill is outgrowing the height of the light (but getting more potatoes today, so that’ll be sorted).
Mint juleps a couple weekends ago helped us keep the mint in check.
Genovese basil and parsely are more what I would consider “normal, reasonable house herbs.”
In a cold climate, it really is a treat through the winter!

Oh, I found the old photo, from March, when it was already going strong:

Edit: I didn’t realize until seeing this how often we make cookies! That’s our cookie jar in the front left of the photo, only out when it has something to hold. Lol.

10 Likes

Wow! That is so cool. Looks great for fresh herbs. Thank you.

5 Likes

If you have too much parsley, I find my chimichurri addiction takes care of that! Thyme is, for me, in a northern climate, probably the most useful winter herb. Chuck loads into any kind of stock or stewing situation. Dill I love but I will have to wait another month for it to be available to me here.

Also major props for a really under utilised herb: winter savoury. Like oregano? Like it all year round? Like it with a kick of spice? Winter savoury is your herb. Grow some people cursed with northern grimness.

10 Likes

I never have a problem using up parsley, more a problem of never having enough. Love :heart: chimichurri!
Nice to hear some props for thyme. I like it, but always feel like we have too much of it (and oregano, because the one in the garden is prolific) and even drying a bunch leads to leaving a bunch.
Outdoors, at least, they go to flower and provide a late haven for the pollinators.
Going to check on the winter savory!
Tarragon is my favorite underappreciated herb. It makes a turkey meatloaf into a Mediterranean delight!

9 Likes

I have trouble with French tarragon, I believe there is a Russian one which might grow better here.

My herbs as weeds are: rosemary, an early pollinator and blooming now for the early bees; sage, which I really grow for the purple flowers which will be glorious in under a month; and bay, I have a tree that was here when I moved in and it’s a monster I attack with a saw every year.

I donate some weeding to a local deli in the summer when they get wild.

9 Likes

I made a German Easter bread (Osterzopf) for, well, Easter. It easily keeps a week, especially because I converted the recipe to the tanghzong method. However, being alone I still couldn’t finish it all, so I let the last few slices dry out and made a bread pudding today. So easy and so good.

17 Likes

Fried chicken and waffles for dinner. Made yeasted rice flour waffles using Anson Mills rice waffle flour and they were great. I finally realized that I can make them the day I want to eat them if I just use a warm spot to proof the batter instead of the overnight rise. (And me a baker)
The Anson Mills flours are very nice, just pricey.

9 Likes

Question for the happy mutants hive mind:

Has anyone here ever tried using coconut milk (the full-fat, canned kind) in lieu of dairy when making creme brulee? I am lactase-deficient, but have no problem with eggs, so if you have any other non-cow creme brulee recipes I’m all ears!

Eta: typo

10 Likes

Haven’t tried creme brûlée, but there’s a great baked custard with orzo and caramelized pineapple that I’ve made several times that uses coconut milk.

It’s fantastic and I see no reason a plain coconut custard couldn’t be brûleed.

10 Likes

We did “Tart Tatin, Take 2” this morning for breakfast, following your recipe, and it was a winner!
One note: We forgot to pierce the puff pastry, so ended up with kind of a bowl:

But the use of golden delicious apples, and the tip about not stirring seemed to do the trick to make it come out as a feast for the eyes as well as the tummy:

14 Likes

That is beautiful!

5 Likes

Yum! That looks amazing!

7 Likes

I had my first out-and-out Instant Pot failure last night. I’ve made creamy polenta caccio e pepe in the Instant Pot before and it turned out amazing. I tried to make a mushroom polenta in the IP, and it kept giving the Food Burn error. I had to backpedal and go traditional stove pot style to finish it.

Just wanted to share the failure and not just successes.

11 Likes

I made a batch of noodles with roasted sweet potatoes that had a few failure points-I had to use buckwheat noodles instead of the sweet potato chopchae noodles, I failed to thin the sauce properly and a added too much to the noodles, so they became rather gloppy. The sauce was made with cashew butter, and when it was done I couldn’t tell it wasn’t peanut butter.
I’ve had instant pot failures with polenta too-some kinds of cornmeal seem to work better in the pot.

8 Likes

Ahh… Fish Sticks!

I am not afraid to admit, I have a comfort food from childhood that I still indulge:
Fish Sticks with Lea & Perrins brand of Worcestershire sauce.

8 Likes

A quick, easy, and tasty dinner for kids is fish stick tacos. Quick to make and easy to clean up, it’s one of my go-tos when I don’t have time to make a meal from scratch.

9 Likes