Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

I knew it!
I always ask for Malt Vinegar to make safe.

5 Likes

I like Byron Talbot’s approach to fried eggs - use a lot of butter and baste the top of the egg with melted butter by spooning it on top.

6 Likes

papi used to call that style of fried egg “blindfolded”.
only he used the fat from frying the tocino to spoon over the huevos to get that top fry! mmmm… takes me back!

7 Likes

tonight’s dinner ahead of cooking. usda prime ribeyes-inch and a half thickness, usda prime tenderloin-one inch thickness. seasoned liberally with salt and cracked black and white pepper. i cooked them on a charcoal fire with hickory smoking chips to medium-rare doneness. upon removal from heat the steaks were dressed with slices of roasted marrow and allowed to rest for 7 minutes. I accompanied them with steamed broccoli rabe and pan roasted royal trumpet mushrooms. a delightful time was had by all.

13 Likes

That reminds me, my Memere (great grandmother) used to make the best “nun” (pronounced nün) which was kind of like what I’ve seen called “toad in the hole” but she didn’t cut the bread, and also somehow much, much more delicious. Maybe because it was made by loving hands, maybe because those hands were very generous with the butter. Who can say? It was like a quick version of French toast, but savory, and as I said, delicious. I love food nostalgia.

10 Likes

If what I remember of my Memere is on point the answer is bacon fat.

Though from what little Acadian I’ve got going on we tend to spell it Mémé.

9 Likes

The first potato salad of the season has been assembled.

7 Likes

This is the Way.

7 Likes

I’m confused because there is no bread in toad in a hole. It’s sausages in egg batter (basically pancake batter).

3 Likes

my experiences tend to confirm that both loving hands and generosity with butter can improve the flavor of almost any dish.

6 Likes

The dish of an egg fried inside a piece of bread is sometimes called that, sometimes called bird-in-the-nest, sometimes called egg-in-the-nest, and I think there are a few other names. It’s hard to make it not be delicious, but bacon fat improves it.

11 Likes

Huh, OK. Thanks. Yeah, bacon fat improves most things.

10 Likes

A college roommate taught me to make it, as taught to her by her grandmother, and called “Egg-in-a-hole-in-a-bread” :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

In the Australian tradition of seeing a black snake with a red belly and calling it a Red-Bellied Black Snake, I’ve aways called it egg-in-a-hole.

9 Likes

Yes, but what’s the hole in? The space-time continuum? My pants pocket? :wink:

Even that always seemed to me to be not specific enough. I always thought it needed the word “slice”, because how do you know it’s not a whole loaf of bread? :wink:

5 Likes

Somehow I’d missed your earlier comment and feel like I’ve set the discussion back a step. bows

I’ve never used the word “slice” in this context but have read “…and a fried slice please” and thought “I’ll have one too please.” A slice of bread fried in bacon fat is how I imagine it.

4 Likes

Not at all! I love to hear everyone’s different regional and family and personal takes on food, all the different variations whether big or small.

And your snake reference was delightful, IMO.

I don’t have a toaster, so if I want “toast” it’s fried bread, fried with a little butter. I’ll have to try it in bacon fat!

5 Likes

For US usage toad in a hole is “eggs in a basket” in most other anglophone countries. And that has absolutely caused confusion when the Irish family visit.

It’s Yorkshire pudding batter. Which is basically crepe/pancake batter. But recipe wise it helps to know you’re looking for Yorkshire recipes.

Here abouts “a slice” without any other context is a slice of pizza.

7 Likes

I was trying to keep it simple for an audience that doesn’t know toad in a hole. Though I now belatedly realise that I failed because Americans would think pancake batter contains baking powder.

6 Likes

Yeah and American pancake batter is real thick.

I’ve seen people use American pancake batter for toad in a hole. And it is not nice.

Something about it just don’t work.

8 Likes