Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

So you know, they have their own section on the Atlas Obscura website:

11 Likes

we made a stir fry of our garden goodies - green and purple pole beans and white bitter melon:

tossed into hot chili oil with ginger then topped with black bean garlic sauce. served over rice. we were able to get an early start on the garden (planted early in February) so produce is coming in now, before it gets ugly hot down here!

12 Likes

Anybody have a line on larger self watering planters for container gardening?

I got mom asparagus starts for mom’s day and she isn’t sure she has enough space to cut out a permanent bed. So we talked about a container.

Seems you need at least 24" and around 12" of depth.

DIY isn’t really an option down to timing, and Dad’s already given away an earthbox because it was “ugly”. Those things are also a shade to small for asparagus.

3 Likes

I shook off my bad baking juju this morning and whipped up some Matcha Poppyseed muffins. They are delicious… I can’t stop eating them. The picture doesn’t do the hue of green justice: they’re quite verdant! Fresher matcha powder would make them even brighter methinks.

The coconut milk creme brulee was kind of a failure: the custard broke sometime between baking and torching the tops (it was weird, I had a lovely custard layer floating on top of coconut water…it went into the oven as a homogenous mixture and came out looking fine). I’m wondering if I either didn’t temper the eggs with hot enough milk or if I should have just used the creme from the can as opposed to the whole thing. Not particularly excited about trying again because I reminded myself that I just don’t love custard-adjacent desserts. Ah well, it was worth a shot!

eta: typos

11 Likes

I can’t remember if I’ve posted this before, but I love this cookbook (we have the book, but it’s available as a free pdf download here):

We aren’t on a very tight budget*, but the recipes are just good. We made the chili this week (a half batch) and it’s delicious! Served it over cornbread, inspired by the pinto bean stew recipe posted downthread.

*A few years ago we did set ourselves the challenge of eating on the food stamp budget for a few months. It really improved our meal planning skills, and that has lasted ever since.

12 Likes

That’s such a good recommendation, thank you.

6 Likes

De nada.
I hope you’ll share any successes. The marinaded grilled tofu is (to me) surprisingly good and now a staple on our summer menu.

7 Likes

I fell prey to targeted Instagram marketing last night and regret nothing: a recipe for crispy miso-butter fish + asparagus came up as a suggested post and let me tell you, it was super duper tasty. We have a lot of fish in our freezer and I’m always on the lookout for different and exciting ways to prepare it. I used halibut and it turned out so well that my spouse got goosebumps when he took his first bite (which ranks up there with licking the plate in terms of compliments).

Only substitution I made to the recipe was to use sambal olek in place of sriracha. Apologies for the crummy food photography!

15 Likes

Filet mingion and lobster tail and baked potato for dinner. Got the proteins on sale, so a nice treat.
Feeling very technically accomplished, since I managed to sous vide both, with a bit of overlap and get them just right in the end.

10 Likes

Your photo is just fine and helps tell the recipe!
Thank you.

7 Likes
11 Likes

Figures.

5 Likes

Yes, you’re right! Vegetarians do have nicer figures. :smirk:

8 Likes

Yippee! I am not 100% vegetarian, but eat very little meat. I hope that makes up for my other more self-destructive (yet enjoyable) habits!

11 Likes

both have their place in my humble cucina, but (IMO) sambal>sriracha for cooking, sriracha as condiment as it is a bit sugary and I carefully watch my sugar intake.
oh, and miso really is a great coating for sheet pan broiled fish and fish and asparagus are simply made to go together!

9 Likes
7 Likes
10 Likes
12 Likes
9 Likes

They’ve discovered the industries big secret!

6 Likes