Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Good point.

5 Likes

“…the kitchen sink drain is the healthiest member of the family…”
Wow! You got my attention with that.

7 Likes

for our Friday Happy Hour knoshes:

first time making Bavarian style pretzels at home. a little too fat and a bit darker than I would have liked, but damn they are tasty!
sadly, Friday night Happy Hour is missing Dear Brother, who being a Philly resident would appreciate the pretzels. he has returned to the field for a 10 week dig in Iraq and Fridays just aren’t the same.

(edit to add the pictures. d’oh!)

15 Likes

Here’s to good brothers everywhere.

7 Likes

Those look so good!

Did you mean “dig” or “gig” for your brother? Trying to figure out if he’s doing archaeology or maybe a musician?
Either way, sorry he couldn’t join your Happy Hour.

9 Likes

cheers! and thank you.
I miss him and I hate it when he is “over there” how ever he may try to assure that he is safe. sure would like to share a pretzel and a cold beverage.

edit to answer @ClutchLinkey ;
yes, I meant dig, as in archaeological. dear brother has been a director at Ur for many years and a curator of Near East Antiquities at Penn Museum. he is currently on a joint dig with some European and Brittish Museum colleagues at a site called Nimrud.

to stay on topic, the mum and I had our pretzels with fondue and martinis.

13 Likes

we made what Sam Sifton, NYTimes Cooking calls "Irish Tacos:

shredded slow cooked corned beef topped with cabbage slaw (my grandmother’s recipe - cabbage, carrots, red chili pepper and pockle juice with a bit of sugar in it) all on a warm, soft four tortilla!
according to Sifton, “it’s not fusion, it’s not apprpriation, everything just tastes great on a warm tortilla.”
his words, not mine. I’ll let you decide. I’m totally lovin’ it!

10 Likes

I might try this, but with lamb instead of corned beef.

8 Likes

put mashed potatoes on top and call it shepherd’s tacos?
I have an Irish friend who would eat the hell outta that! (she’d likely turn her nose up at mine)
oops! edit tyop

7 Likes

Oh @FloridaManJefe and @NukeML this reminds me of this week’s ancient recipes (though it’s not so ancient)…

11 Likes

We had tacos Saturday. We try to eat ( reruns) leftovers on the weekend. Making our own tacos from scratch And filling with whatever.
Lamb, beef, and fish!

12 Likes

I do love Sohla, but I have not yet managed to get myself to watch something that bears the mark of the “History” channel.

6 Likes

beautiful tortillas! love the comal. did you make it?

8 Likes

It’s worth it, trust me. As a historian, I can safely say it’s some of the best content they’ve produced in years.

11 Likes

Good to know! I’ll try it, then.

7 Likes

Can I get that with actual shepherd on top?

7 Likes

Thank you! Most of my cast iron is from family and flea market. That one is from a Kickstarter I think. I will look.

6 Likes

Big Brother Reaction GIF by Big Brother After Dark

8 Likes

classic film woof GIF by Warner Archive
Shep is not amused!

10 Likes

so tonight’s dinner was a dish i came up with about three years ago called bacon hash.

i statrt with 1.5 pounds of applewood smoked bacon which i cut into 2.5 cm pieces and render until crisp. i take the bacon and lay it on paper towels to drain and empty the pan of fat along with any burnt crumbs of bacon and then put three to four tablespoons of the bacon fat back into the pan. i take four to five carrots cut into 2 cm pieces (should be around 350 ml of pieces) and start cooking them in the bacon fat. to this i add 350 ml of potatoes cut into 2 cm cubes and allow the carrots and potatoes to cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes then add 350 ml of shallots cut into 2 cm cubes and cook for 10 more minutes stirring occasionally. at this point i season the mixture to taste with white pepper, season salt, and rubbed sage. finally add 360 ml of a sturdy apple variety like a fuji cut into 2 cm cubes and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes at which point add the bacon and stir until thoroughly mixed.

something we do sometimes is to fry whole, fresh sage leaves in the bacon fat before draining the pan. it only requires 15-20 seconds before the leaves are crispy. set them to drain on a paper towel and pat with another paper towel. if you take one or two of the fried sage leaves and crumble them over each individual serving of the hash it adds a fine savor to the dish. this dish serves six to eight as a main dish or 10-12 as an appetizer.

12 Likes