Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Yum!
Also wanted to second that trick with the sage leaves. I usually have a plant in the kitchen and will fry them up in butter for all kinds of dishes. Really pretty on vanilla ice cream with a drizzle of maple syrup, and a fancy garnish for potato soup or the like.

12 Likes

Italians beer batter dip em, and fry em for a starter…

10 Likes

Scooby Doo Drool GIF

6 Likes

Bacon! :bacon: The gateway meat. As a Batchelor
I used to go to my local butcher and get ‘Bacon ends’ The misshapen ends and drop from slicing the bacon for 1/2 the going price per pound.
I would cut it up into even smaller pieces and fry in its own fat renderings until cooked. Straining off all the fat I could and putting in a jar in the refrigerator. Saving the grease of course.
My wife tells I would of been dead by now if I had continued this diet.
At the time I was working 78 hour work weeks in a pretty physical job.
Although I still crave bacon and go all weak in the knees at the site of pork belly, I do not consume it as much, but look forward to the next time I smell it cooking.
Your recipe sounds terrific, and I want to eat it right now!
Thank you and Cheers!

10 Likes

Last night’s dinner was curry braised chicken thighs. I’ve probably already waxed poetic about my love of bone-in, skin-on thighs in a past post or four, but they really are a staple of our weeknight dinner routine.

Browned the skin, rescued the thighs and made a spicy curry paste in the skillet before dumping in a can of coconut milk and returning the chicken. Tossed the whole thing into the oven to cook for 25 minutes. In the meantime, lightly cooked up some broccoli and peas. Stirred veggies into the sauce once the timer went off and served with warm naan! Looking forward to having leftovers for lunch today…

12 Likes

Is it just me, or are curries almost always better (no matter how good they were when cooked) the day after?

11 Likes

Yum!
We have an old standard, Lynn Rosetto-Caspar’s chicken thigh curry, on the menu this week.
She calls for boneless, but we’ve found its easier to find the bone-in from local, humane providers and it doesn’t hurt the flavor at all. If anything, maybe even better.

In other news - Last week I made fried springrolls. No pics, but marinated some goat sausage in garlic, soy sauce and rice wine, then sautéed goat sausage, cabbage, and grated carrots, then mixed in some ginger, reconstituted shitakes, and oyster sauce. Chilled then wrapped up in brown-rice rice-paper rolls, let dry a bit, and fried in canola oil.
They came out really good, but if I were to make it again I might see about baking some of the rolls. I had extra filling and froze it, so we shall see…the filling itself was so flavorful, I’m not sure the frying really added much.

10 Likes

Its not just you

8 Likes

100% in agreement. I feel like anything that is stewed/braised just gets better with time (up to a certain point, of course).

Also, I just love leftovers in general, so there’s that.

9 Likes

Y’all inspired me yesterday and I ordered the shepherd’s pie for dinner at an Irish Pub. Yum!

11 Likes

A coworker gifted me homemade soda bread and Kerrygold butter to go with it.

None for you!!!

16 Likes

Food Love GIF by RisuDong

Will make mine on Thursday with the corned beef and cabbage… sans currants, tho.

12 Likes

Hoping to make some soon. Kerry Gold for the win!

6 Likes

I’ve been looking around for St. Patty’s Day recipes off and on all day, and wavering between Guinness Cupcakes w/Cream Cheese frosting, Irish Coffee, and Shepherd’s Pie. Basically because it seems too late to do one of the traditional meat-based dishes.
I was excited to be reminded of Colcannon, though, and just put the ingredients in my on-line farmer’s market order! Colcannon coming up on Sunday.
I stretch my birthday celebration out for a week, I think St. Patty’s Day can last at least 4 days.

12 Likes

Cheers Gaeilge GIF by Ros na Rún

9 Likes

The Lion King What GIF

8 Likes

It’s always interesting to see how places without a preconception about a food will come up with novel uses for it.

5 Likes

That is a totally new one on me. Good find.

2 Likes

Huh. I could kind of see it.
I like grilled chicken and pineapple. So, meat and sweet fruit…
And the basic South African breakfast I learned was similar to an “English” breakfast but you’d fry up a banana in the grease from the rashers. So, bananas and salty…
The whipped cream part of the recipe throws me off, but I’d give it a try.
The chef they mention is quite a character. I used to get Food and Wine magazine a while ago and the photo spread of him was all him, shirtless but with an open, flowing fur coat, trudging through waist-high snow, and other very over the top themes.

7 Likes

I remember that Food and Wine magazine! Yes, your memory is very good. Cheers!

6 Likes