Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

So you know, zucchini bread is at least as wonderful as carrot bread. Not too sweet, but still feels like you’re treating yourself. And it’s a great way to make a lot of zucchini disappear!

14 Likes

Double entendres aside, the joke around here is that “nobody here locks there car doors except in zuke season, for fear of your neighbors “gifting” you with a hundred pounds of zukes.”

14 Likes

Beef flanken cut ribs, marinaded in soy sauce, sake, rice wine vinegar, garlic, chile flakes for 20 minutes and blotted dry before grilling.
Tiny tangerines grilled black.
Served over rice with Kimchi.

8 Likes

Got a zucchini slice/‘pie’ recipe somewhere. Let me see if I can find it.

Here 'tis:
About 4 zucchini, grated
1 large onion, chopped
2 rashers bacon
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup self-raising flour
Half-cup oil
5 eggs, lightly beaten
Salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients together. Pour into well-greased casserole dish or similar. Bake in moderate oven for about 40 minutes.

Pretty sure I’ve added garlic to this recipe. Also used less oil, or none. Substituted milk or cream instead. Cubed or fairly finely chopped up cheese if I can’t be arsed grating it. Added herbs such as sage, thyme, marjoram, whatever your preference. Think I’ve even made it without bacon!

6 Likes

We do layers of sliced zucchini with fresh chopped garlic and good feta cheese. Pop it in the microwave or oven, covered. Addictive.

6 Likes

That looks amazing. What do you do with the tangerines? I’ve had half-lemons BBQ’d on their cut side, but tangerines sound pretty damn tempting.

3 Likes

I put the Kishu tangerines on the grill to blacken and char.

4 Likes

So I found a new recipe for my instant pot. It’s spaghetti and meat sauce and it takes about 30 minutes to make, start to finish. I’ve made it twice now, and while it’s not haute cuisine by any stretch of the imagination, it’s fast, tasty, and makes a ton of food, to feed an army or to have lunches for a couple of days afterwards. Kids love it.

• 1 to 1.5lbs ground beef
  • 1 24-ounce jar of prepared spaghetti sauce (I splurge on the pricier varieties)
  • 2 cups of water (divided)
  • Seasoning (garlic powder or real crushed garlic, onion powder or finely diced onion, salt, pepper, red pepper, etc)
  • 8 oz spaghetti
  • Parmesan cheese

Using the saute setting, heat up the instant pot good and hot, and then add your ground beef, browning and breaking it down, and add the seasoning.

Turn off the saute setting, and add half a cup of the water and the jar of spaghetti sauce, stirring to remove any bits browned on the bottom. (This is the last time you’ll stir before cranking up the pressure.)

Add the spaghetti, breaking it in half and spreading in a thin layer on top of the sauce in the pan. Add the rest of the water (1.5c) to the empty jar and shake to get out every bit, and then pour on top of the pasta. Don’t stir!

Clamp on the lid, and cook under pressure for 8 minutes. It’ll take 15 to 20 minutes for the pressure cooker to get up to pressure, depending on whether you used hot or cold water, I think.

Once it cooks and switches to warming mode, immediately release the pressure. Remove the lid and stir. Serve with lots of shredded Parmesan and a salad on the side, maybe even some garlic bread.

10 Likes

Seems like this should be easy enough, but any tips/recipes for making lo mein (or some tasty approximation thereof)? IIRC this always ends up with me using half a bottle of soy sauce, which I figure is a month or two’s recommended intake of sodium.
(I already have a block of tofu sitting in the freezer.)

Presumably this one was intentional:

2 Likes

15 Likes

7 Likes

Looks like you made enough to share. /hint, hint

10 Likes

Jerked chicken wings old school. Full wing plus tip. BushaBrowne ‘s Traditional Jerk Seasoning Rub is da kind.
BTW, how did I get the photos so wrong?

10 Likes

So here’s the zucchini slice I posted about earlier:

Changes I made to the recipe: added minced garlic, a big pinch of dried sage and the same of thyme. Only used half a cup of self-raising flour and a quarter cup of sunflower oil, which explains why it’s quite flat but not why it’s still so oily. That’s why I put about half of the mixture into cupcake papers (? Can’t think of the right word) so they’ll be easier to handle tonight when we go to see a band at the zoo.

Also: I love this plate! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

14 Likes

Well I ended up stir-frying the tofu, a red bell pepper, a bunch of green onions, three carrots, and some garlic and ginger in sesame oil. Added a pound of linguine which was about twice as much as I needed to go with this. (Meanwhile I’d found some ramen-looking noodles called simply “Chinese noodles” that I might use next time; nothing like lo mein but seemed to be about the right amount for the other ingredients.)

I added some tamari sauce, red pepper flakes, rice vinegar and more sesame oil.

There was still no “there” there so I added more tamari, rice vinegar and sesame oil.

Finally, I served it in bowls to which I added more tamari, rice vinegar and sesame oil.

Saved the leftovers to which I added more tamari, rice vinegar and sesame oil

7 Likes

Sesame oil is not good for stir-frying itself; put a little bit on at the end before serving.

You need a high-heat oil, like peanut or avocado.

As for why you kept having to season it more: is it possible you’re coming down with a cold, and can’t taste much right now?

11 Likes

Muffin liners.

6 Likes

Yeah, the bottle was actually pretty clear about using the oil at medium heat. (It’s not cheap for stir-frying, either)

Sheesh, hope not – I think I was just being cautious, knowing how much sodium I’d probably end up adding. I probably used 4 fl. oz. of tamari, 3 oz. sesame oil and another 3 or 4 of vinegar.

5 Likes

Continuing with my Chef John inspired experiments:

Lamb pasties. Loosely based on this recipe:

But lamb/onion/potato/carrot instead of beef/onion/potato/turnip.

Nom.

Solid enough to eat as a hand pie, but I wanted to check the internal temperature before biting in.

18 Likes

Good job! When I was a kid, Cornish pasties were a somewhat local specialty. Great for hiking, even if they’d cooled down.

9 Likes