Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Thanks. It looked like some sort of creamy sauce with ‘bits’ in. Wasn’t sure what flavour the ‘bits’ were. I’m a strictly ‘steam and eat’ for sprouts, with whatever gravy the meat comes with. A creamy sauce may be the adventure I need! :wink:

3 Likes

Ah, the “Mick Mulvaney Special.” J/k - I miss currywurst!

3 Likes

Throw a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 400ºF. Cut the brussels sprouts in half and toss in oil (most people like olive oil, but I like using a higher heat oil like avocado oil, and then I can crank the oven to 425-450ºF), with whatever seasonings you like: salt & pepper certainly, but also consider various herbs or spices, whatever you feel like. When the oven and pan hit the correct temperature, put the brussels sprouts on the pan in a single layer, spacing them out, preferably cut side down. Check after 10-15 minutes to stir a bit. Depending on your oven and your preference, they will be ready between 20 and 30 minutes.

To elevate them even more, toss with a small amount of high quality balsamic vinegar while hot and then serve.

(Note: if some of the outer leaves blacken from the high heat, that’s considered a feature, not a bug.)

12 Likes

Mmmmmmm features. Roasty toasty tasty features. Damn I love roasted sprouts.

7 Likes

I’ve owned that same rolling pin!

8 Likes

Wait…what? You, who makes such beautiful things with wood, have no rolling pin???

Here’s mine, which was given to me by my grandmother, who told me it was made by…darn, I can’t remember anymore whether it was her father or her grandfather. She said she wanted me to have it, because she knew I would use it. And I do. :slight_smile:

(Apologies for photo quality…taken with a Chromebook.)

15 Likes

I only started baking very recently.

I’ve been meaning to make a rolling pin, but I haven’t found the right piece of wood yet.

15 Likes

I hope you do!

9 Likes

I love useful kitchen tools with a history. I have a few, and most of them have histories that only tangentially connect to me. I use them, take care of them (no dishwasher!) and look forward to passing some of them on to Kiddo.

10 Likes

In that vein, a little Curry with Zucchini goes down very well

7 Likes

18 Likes

You eat funny!

5 Likes

Well, it’s too early to drink yet.

12 Likes

I took the liberty to replicate this here; sounds useful:

(Full quote got clipped somehow, but you get the gist.)

11 Likes

Liberty granted. I was thinking of doing the same but … much inertia today. :wink:

5 Likes

10 Likes
8 Likes

You all probably know this already, but I’ll share this tip just in case.

If you have an urge for Texas-style BBQ but either can’t find beef brisket or it’s just too much food at once, a chuck roast is a great substitute. Just rub it all over with salt and pepper and give it 4-6 hours, depending on the size, in the cooker/smoker at 225 deg F (105 C). I ended up wrapping this one about 3 hours in, with a total cook time of just under 5 hours.

15 Likes

Just made these. The only difference is they use large sugar chunks and I didn’t have any because the coronapocalypse. Chocolate chip scones.

Recipe: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/scones-recipe

12 Likes

I should have included pictures of the sliced cross-section. Here you go:

It doesn’t have the nice deckel fat like the point of a brisket, so it’s more like the flat. But it has the right bend, while still being pull-apart tender:

17 Likes