Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Not enough for what? For laughs, at some cranky “uncle” character?

So humor is subjective. Who knew!

6 Likes

The food lab did some testing a while back.

Apparently it’s good if the rice is cold enough for it’s starch to set up. But above all else you want it to be dry.

Freshly cooked rice that’s been cooled under a fan for an hour seems to work best. But in my experience it’s easier to handle if you stick it in the fridge for a bit after. So I think you might be right. But with the fanned rice it wasn’t so much less clumping, since it’s already less clumpy. Rather it seems less prone to sticking to the pan.

5 Likes

chowder-mung-aint-nobody-happy

6 Likes

printer nuggets yummy yummy

5 Likes

Today was the day I realised how much quarantine has reinvigorated my love of food and the kitchen. I used to love cooking and have been the main household cook for the last 30-ish years (and two relationships), but over that time the routine had progressively become more a chore than a joy.

Converting my commute time into cooking has meant I’m now cooking new dishes and rediscovering old ones. Tonight is a mix of old (potatoes with panch phoran) and new (Keralan green beans in coconut milk) with papadums and rice.

17 Likes

[Don’t] Keep on eatin that chicken!

8 Likes

And now for something completely different. Blixa Bargeld cooking risotto.

8 Likes
5 Likes

We’re moving to a new residence at the end of August (and I’m actually leaving the state for school in 12 days), so for the past few weeks the cooking theme has been: move less food!

It’s been a fun exercise in using up ingredients that I don’t reach for by default (especially all those little leftover bits of random grains, spices, and baking supplies). We’re still getting our weekly box of farm share veggies but thats about it for food coming into our home.

Tonight I made:
Halibut with a browned butter lemon sauce (I rubbed the fish with a mixture of lemon pepper and dill before pan-frying it - it turned out super good.)
Roasted peanut potatoes with lemon, garlic, and dill
Tomato sandwich with local heirloom tomatoes
I made a salad too, but that’s less exciting.

15 Likes

Looks fun, but damn, the ads make that site even less readable than BoingBoing.

5 Likes

I have some halibut to cook tonight. I may try that! It sounds delicious.

6 Likes

It was so tasty. We went halibut fishing a few weeks ago (came home with 40 lbs), so I’ve been cooking a lot of it lately. This was hands down the best iteration.

Let me know how yours turns out (even if you do it differently :slight_smile:).

6 Likes

What are those “ads” you speak of?

2 Likes

Quail anyone? From the grill.
Yeah, I know, quail are so cute!

12 Likes

Adorable and delicious! I love quail. There used to be a tapas restaurant in Boston that would serve them with a blackberry reduction sauce. You’re making me want to try and recreate it once we get a grill.

8 Likes

Dali?

3 Likes

Tapeo - used to go there around '09/'10 with college manfriend. Didn’t go back after we split. I think they closed in 2017 or so? They had a really good hot garlicky olive oil/tiny shrimp dish that I remember, too.

5 Likes

Last night was pizza. My mom was missing Detroit-style pizza, so I made her some for her birthday:

I’m doing the halibut tonight. I don’t have lemon pepper, but I have frozen lime zest, so I tossed that in with the butter, pepper, salt, and dill. It smells delicious!

13 Likes

Sounds like a good idea to get some lemon pepper, for the halibut.

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Dali does that same quail dish, although they’re in Cambridge or Somerville. I remember Tapeo, but I’m not as familiar with their menu. I believe they had the same owner.

5 Likes