Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Chicken thighs are marinating, steel-cut oats are soaking.

Later I will make bread with the oats (damn, I love having a good mixer). For dinner, whisk some pineapple juice and cornstarch together and add to the marinade with some carrots and cabbage mix, throw it in the oven until the chicken is cooked and serve over rice.

Between now and then I will watch Netflix or play video games.

13 Likes

Close up of ’ not a kitty litter scoop ’ Not politically correct anymore with the Chief logo stamped on it. I wonder if that was the manufacturer?

12 Likes

I’ve never seen that before, but it looks like an absolutely perfect utensil for so many uses.

11 Likes

I was curious

https://www.logosdatabase.com/logo/chief_72112316

8 Likes

Far out! Thanks. A great site that I will use soon.

3 Likes

For breakfast this morning.
Left over lasagna with a fried egg.

9 Likes

Leftovers with a fried egg is often my breakfast!

7 Likes

This is enough onions for onion soup?

10 Likes

The answer to that question is always no.

8 Likes

I hope you didn’t learn how from the BBC!

:laughing: :rofl:

11 Likes

Plenty of people pointing out on Twitter that it is a method used in Persian cooking (and some Asian styles as well).

8 Likes

Sure. Just not Uncle Roger’s style. (I think the humor is more in his reaction and commentary than in her supposedly doing rice wrong.)

4 Likes

TV;DW, but is the secret to slightly undercook the rice?

2 Likes

It depends what you are doing.

Different styles use different techniques. Tahdig is going to be done differently than sticky rice. Something to go under a curry will be different than a plain/seasoned side. Hell, depending on the type of rice you use, you’re going to use different techniques.

It’s not enough to say “you’re doing it wrong”. People versed in different traditions are going to do things differently. If we grow up with a technique, that’s the one we usually stick with, because we know it well enough for it to be reliable for us.

13 Likes

Egg Pulusu, mung dahl and rice. The sauce for the eggs is hot, sweet and sour with fresh green chillies, chilli powder, tamarind and palm sugar.

Egg recipe from here. Tastes wonderful, even if it looks a like a sad symphony in brown.

15 Likes

Oh, that is one of my favorite dishes!

(The egg curry.)

7 Likes

Same here! There’s something wonderful about the bland richness of the eggs meeting a sauce that has All The Flavours.

5 Likes

I have a rice cooker and use day old dry rice from the refrigerator for the fried rice, I like how it browns. I add kimchi half way through. Green onions 3/4 in.

10 Likes

You caught me, I had more onions camera right.

8 Likes

Yes, I also often hear that cold cooked rice works best for stir fried rice. Seems to me that it doesn’t clump up as much.

9 Likes