Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

I am as well as I can be, all things considered.

9 Likes

i hear ya there. i’ll be around a bit more. well, more than none. and will try my hardest to not irritate people again… much…

10 Likes

But the irritants are the best part!

:wink:

7 Likes

I am getting several pounds of duck breast as a promotion from a local poultry farm. Peking and L’Orange styles are a given. As is saving as much glorious fat that renders from cooking it.

But I am going to try to make ramen or pho with some. I have “cheat” mixes and noodles for both kinds of soup.

It’s just a matter of which one my wife wants me to make. I am aiming for the pho so I don’t have to make simmered boiled eggs.

10 Likes

Irritants are how pearls are made, after all.

I bribed a friend who is a duck hunter with some home brew. I hope to get a fair amount of duck from it. I’m a fan of smoking it, low and slow…

But they are so easy! a fingernail of water in a covered stock pot, put the eggs in before heating, let it go 7 minutes once it’s boiling. Put the eggs in ice water. Done! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I wish I could do that, but I live in a condo.

If not for the pandemic I could borrow my parent’s barbecue/smoker.

Simmered boiled eggs for ramen involve taking a hard boiled egg and simmering in soup stock until it turns dark. It’s time consuming.

6 Likes

Now I wish I could trade duck with you. stupid pandemic!

My Japanese obachan just soaks them in off-the-shelf soup base for a few hours after soft-boiling. That way the yolk doesn’t get chalky and the white still absorbs that salty-umami flavor.

9 Likes

Gonna try that.

Your obachan sounds like a better cook than my okasan in law. (Words I will never say to her or share with my wife)

5 Likes

Yeah. I’ve read it; now delete it just in case! :joy:

4 Likes

heart-eyes-mf

11 Likes

11 Likes
14 Likes

That did it, I broke down and ordered Crispy Duck and Peking Duck from my favorite Chinese food restaurant. :duck: :takeout_box: :wine_glass: :yum:

12 Likes

Chicken and potatoes and shallots in a brown butter cream gratin with crispy breadcrumbs on top. Recipe from epicurious. Very tasty, pretty straightforward. Definitely customizable. Soon it’s going to be tea-smoked duck and yakitori king trumpet mushrooms. Maybe a fancy breakfast tomorrow-roasted portobello caps with poached eggs, Canadian bacon and hollandaise.

6 Likes

If you have a patio/balcony and a gas grill, you can use one of these:

Load the tube with pellet smoker pellets, light it, blow it out and it smokes for 2-3 hours. I use one in my Traeger when I want more smoke.

5 Likes

Double lasagna. A wet Spring Saturday with the last of the winter ■■■■■-ness and I need comfort food. Starting with Ms Immutable’s Napoli sauce from the freezer, the vegetarian one (left) was augmented with zucchini and red pepper and had a layer of ricotta and spinach in the middle, while the omnivorous one (right) was the same Napoli simmered with crumbled and browned pork & fennel sausages.

17 Likes

Leftovers ( I call them ’reruns’ ) of red and white refried now twice-fried rice with bacon in tsp of ghee, asparagus and egg for breakfast.
Big surprise was how great the asparagus was slightly toasted. Oh I just remembered, some unsalted butter just under the egg.

14 Likes
10 Likes

So the other day, our walking the dog, I see these

And bring them home

And chop them up roughly to fry

I was off to buy some cream for them when I bumped into a chef across the road and he gave me half a gourd for the soup which I roasted in oil, garlic, and rosemary at a low heat so I could use the garlic in the soup. Blended the lot up with some veg stock and added cream.

Best muahroom soup I’ve ever eaten.

• About that. The truth is we got him a year ago and I saw some photos from just then and the field down the road had shaggy ink caps in it so I deliberately walked the dog a different way to see what the crop was like this year.
14 Likes

I’m pissed cuz my go-to place stopped making its one whole wheat scone. EVERYTHING else there is made with white flour. Why no whole wheat flour goodies!?!?

Anyway, any of yall bake something yummy with whole wheat instead of white?

9 Likes