Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

I made an apple spice walnut Bundt cake with whole wheat. Very nice.

10 Likes

My S.O. baked pumpkin scones with wheat flour this weekend, and they were the BOMB! For me, at least. She ended up baking them for twice the duration in the recipe because they just wouldn’t freakin’ bake. They were too moist for too long. But they did end up amazing.

9 Likes

Minestrone the way I prefer, lots of veg that’s still firm. No mush. Not as good as the last time my husband made it. He was out of tomato paste. But still yum!

12 Likes

Tried to do tea smoked duck. Marinated the duck for 36 hours. Got the necessary tea and star anise. Got ready to smoke the duck, could not find my wok. I suspect it’s in storage at the moment. (I don’t use it for stir frying on the stove because this stove doesn’t get hot enough) got down a pot of comparable size and shape, but enameled cast iron. Line the pot, add the aromatics, put in the trivet, add the duck. Not much room between duck and aromatics, but that should be ok. Close up pot and duck, turn up heat for smoke. Starts smelling good. When timer goes off, check duck-the heat was too high and the duck fat rendered out and deep fried the aromatics. I finished off the duck in the oven and was damned tasty, but not the duck I was after. The yakitori king trumpet mushrooms were really good. And the carcass will make a nice duck stick for the freezer.
Now I guess I will have to try again. :wink:

14 Likes
9 Likes

Still experimenting with fried rice. Leftover Red rice and Japanese rice in steel Wok.
1 strip of bacon.
I render the bacon and flip it until slightly browned. Using kitchen scissors, cut it up into smaller pieces, and mix in.
Usually, add green onions but having none used red onions this time. ( not as good )
Few minutes before serving, chopped up Kimchee and tossed to finish.
Cheers and Boney Appetite to all y’all.

13 Likes

I made these for cocktail hour snacks and - wowzers - they are GUD! used mix of “baby bello” portabello mushrooms, shitake and oyster mushrooms (oh, would that I had some chanterelles and/ or morels to add!), used couscous instead of farro, tahini in place of almond butter. so yummy with perfectly done, flaky puff pastry and all the ingredients melded together inside. delightful!
(sorry abt the NYT paywall. sometimes you can get the recipe, just not be able to save it):

10 Likes

Leeks are amazing! I made a leek and potato soup last night that is definitely a keeper, based on a Jacques Pepin recipe:
Sauté two chopped leeks and one medium sliced onion about 7 minutes, add 6 cups chicken broth (we make stock all the time, so use homemade) and 1.5 lb peeled, chopped potatoes. Boil 30 minutes then add a couple Tbsps butter and purée with an immersion blender.
I had intended to add some cream just because it snowed here yesterday and that seemed like a winter luxury, but I tasted it first and it was already so creamy, didn’t need it.
Topped with homemade croutons, fresh parsley and some chopped bacon, it was amazing. This is going to be a go-to winter treat. I think it’d be good with squash, too, instead of potatoes.

10 Likes

This is fun!

The bleeding candied apples are the best!

7 Likes

16 Likes
5 Likes

So glad Sohla is back in action. I see BA have started posting videos again as well but couldn’t bring myself to watch them. I probably won’t in the future, either.

5 Likes

Careful now!

11 Likes

Friday evening we do virtual happy hour with my brother, Dr. Brad, who is in Philly. we do knoshes and mix cocktails and swap stories from the week.
tonight, I made some panjeon, Korean scallion pancakes. cabbage, scallions, carrots, peppers, kimchi and mustard root in K-cakebatter (AP flour, rice flour, cornstarch, baking powder and ice water).
here’s the ticket, yo: use a waffle maker! cooks both sides to the middle perfectly! the side, ban chan is boiled egg drizzled with sriracha, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, sesame oil and a bit of fish sauce. yum!

15 Likes

Oooh now I am picturing doing okonomiyaki in a waffle maker.

12 Likes

dooo eeet! I so loves me some okonomiyaki!
waffle maker works for straight-up kimchijeong, too. gotta cook on hot to get it done through, but may take some extra minutes after the “ready” light comes on. do try, it upped my jeong game to be sure!

8 Likes

Oooh, Okonomiyaki is best when its crispy on the bottom and has that overcooked cabbage taste. Now I just need to figure out where I left my waffle maker

7 Likes

OMGlob! Fantastic idea. Thank you so much for sharing this tip! Cheers

6 Likes

They were well received at the local community association AGM. :slightly_smiling_face:

18 Likes

i have a sensitivity to rosemary which causes a mild arrhythmia when i eat food seasoned with it.

i’ve made a lemon-thyme shortbread that has some of the notes of rosemary without the ill-effects.

still, those look lovely.

12 Likes