Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

I made vegetable beef barley soup a couple of days ago and we’re still eating it. It’s so good, and I don’t generally like soup.

8 Likes

I’m making Thanksgiving for friends who just had a baby, so I’ve been making and eating early Thanksgiving from test recipes all week for something that would travel and reheat with minimal effort.

IMG_0931

I made this sage/thyme turkey roulade yesterday and it’s even better cold (as turkey often is). It’s two deboned turkey legs cooked sous vide then deep fried to crisp the skin (or baked in the oven).

I normally dislike cranberry sauce, but the orange cointreau cranberry sauce came out delicious.

Now I’ve got a third roulade cooking right now for the new parents and I still need to bake another pie, but I think the roulade is going to be my go-to Thanksgiving main in the future.

10 Likes

A big batch of soup on Tuesday is our go-to when we aren’t traveling. Then leftovers for Wednesday night. Easy, filling, and doesn’t take any space the thanksgiving prep needs except a bit of fridge that can be spared until Thursday.
We planned on traveling this year but everyone got sick. So it’s a low-key thanksgiving tomorrow.Wwe are feeling better but not all the way well, so Thanksgiving on easy mode sounds nice.
Though the pies I bought from the fancy gourmand grocery didn’t last a day before we started having a slice haha :joy:

8 Likes

Me too! I love raisins but even a little red wine gives me a headache and, uh, hay fever type symptoms. My histamine response is prone to overdrive, and it feels like that.

4 Likes

When I eat dried apricots, I get flushed in the face and ears. :man_shrugging:

Season 2 Love GIF by LoveIslandUSA

5 Likes

I just made breakfast for dinner - some scrambled eggs, grits, and some chicken sausage - since it’s a quick meal.

A while ago, I added the flour, salt, baking soda/powder to the mix, and set it aside to rise. I’m gonna go punch it down in a bit and then make it into rolls and put them in the fridge until tomorrow!

8 Likes

I’m about to go add the flour, baking powder and soda myself. I think I’m going to leave the dough whole tonight, and then divide it into rolls in the morning.

7 Likes

This will be interesting to see how they came out different!

7 Likes

Ok, mine is all mixed. The texture seems right to me, so that’s a good sign.

5 Likes

Yep, mine too. About to go look at how it’s doing on this rise…

[ETA] It had risen enough, so I cut them up and made them into little buns, and put them on a baking sheet covered with a sheet of oiled cling wrap.

Do you plan on either buttering them or giving them an eggwash when you put them in? Oh and how long a bake, do you think? 15? 20? 25? :thinking:

7 Likes

I might brush them with some melted butter when I pull them out of the oven, but my mom never did that. I would bake until golden brown on top. My mom always baked them in a round cake pan, packed in tight so they make pull-apart rolls, so that’s what I plan on doing.

6 Likes

Hungry 101 Dalmatians GIF

11 Likes

Vegetable beef barley, with mushroom and dill, was my grandmother’s specialty, always reminds me of her. Great comfort food.

5 Likes

The holiday dessert curse is upon me again this year. Meyer lemon curd tart with a dark chocolate layer between the pastry and lemon curd kicked my butt.

Pie crust—sorry, pâte sucrée—failed (again). Ok, fine, I was kinda expecting that, even after reading through the tips both here and in reliable corners of the food-net because pie crust hates me. I pieced it together enough, and maybe the chocolate layer will hold it enough to serve.

But I was not expecting the lemon curd for the filling, the exact same recipe I’ve made within the last week, to fail. It would not thicken. I finally added a little cornstarch to thicken it, but the texture is now slightly gummy, and the flavor has lost some of its bite. F&@# it, I dumped it in the pastry anyway. Maybe it will magically transform in the fridge overnight.

This is the last year I’m doing this; it’s just not fun anymore. Next year I’ll cook exactly 3 things: the turkey, a baked mac-n-cheese, and green beans.

7 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text (3)

6 Likes

More test recipes for Thanksgiving - rosemary curry pumpkin soup.

IMG_0934

I had modest expectations since it sounded a little odd to me, but it’s a tasty soup - sweet and a little spicy.

I should have used white pepper though. The little black pepper flakes are just floating there, mocking me. I guess I could run it through a chinois… but I’ve run out of containers to strain things into at this point.

8 Likes

I’m just gonna do a sheet pan (since that’s what I have them on)… Another point of variance!

7 Likes

Finamore’s No. 1 tip to reduce stress: Take care of all this decorating a day –- or days -– in advance. Besides, you’ll learn what might be missing.

I think the writer has never owned a cat in their life.

f00VX012PFAXzRJ4b8sthHcWZ02jstACYhS-1674960830

11 Likes

9 Likes

Stopping when it’s not fun any more is definitely the way to go. There really is no need for the stress.
(For what it’s worth, a pate sucreé is not quite pie crust)

6 Likes