Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

I second their Sriracha. Seems to have a bit more of a kick than Huy Fong.

Also tried one of their BBQ sauces, not that happy with it. Sticking with Jank.

6 Likes

Go for it. I was gifted Vietnamese instant coffee a couple of years back IIRC it was very nice.

9 Likes

Interesting. I recently tried Sriracha for the first time (I know…I sometimes get weirdly resistant to things that are popular…I’m stupid) and thought it tasted gross. I kinda wondered why it had become popular. Now it seems maybe I just got the newer stuff?

Peppers can be highly variable in heat and flavor even within one varietal. McIlhenney, who makes Tabasco sauce, originally grew all their own tabasco peppers on Avery Island in Louisiana. Now, they use growers all over, including South America and Africa, but they send the seed stock to the growers so the flavor won’t change. If you grow jalapenos in your home garden, and your next door neighbor grows bell peppers, and you both try to save seeds from your peppers to grow some more next season, you may find yourself with really mild jalapenos, and your neighbor could end up with spicy bell peppers. So even growing peppers has to be tightly controlled if you want to maintain the flavor and heat profile. It sounds like Huy Fong didn’t understand this.

9 Likes
8 Likes

If you look up thread you’ll see some of us make our own sriracha. There’s no shortage here, I can go to a local shop and see shelves of different brands, but homemade is much, much better.

I don’t grow chillies any more (and never did grow ones suitable for sriracha unless you wanted to achieve psychedelic levels of of heat) but it’s still more than worth it.

My Christmas present for some friends was sriracha in the jars I fermented it in for them with the burping kids and weights in the package.

ETA
Burping lids!

7 Likes

Sorry, been trapped at home for 3 days because of snow/ice storm.

9 Likes

If you’re trapped with them because of the snow for days and burping is the height of their irritating behaviour I would say you are winning!

6 Likes

Weird question. Why does ice cold ginger ale give me the hiccups instantly and really bad, but room temperature ginger ale doesn’t?

9 Likes

Stimulation/irritation of the vagus and/ or phrenic nerve causes hiccups. According to article, can be stimulated by rapid temperature change as well as distension from CO2 from the carbonation.

Though “effects or effected by the vagus nerve” is kind of a catch-all in neurology, as it’s involved with everything.
Sort of like in biochem, if you’re asked a multiple choice question on which organ does some biochemical process, liver is a good bet, as it does a lot.

13 Likes

Interesting. Well I guess I’ll stick with room temperature ginger ale. I like it better, anyway.

11 Likes

Yes, mom & I LOL’d like ten year olds when we saw these mixes in Jamaica:

caribbean-dreams-cock-soup

Cock-Soup-Carita
APPETIZING

9 Likes

haha! we have a Carribean foods aisle at our local Publix and yes, they carry that Grace brand Cock Soup.
i, too, laughed like a 12yo boy when i saw it. so i bought one. used it to flavor some rice-and-peas (island style pigeon peas cooked in rice made with coconut milk and chicken stock).
not bad

7 Likes

13 Likes

yes, please!
oishii!

8 Likes

Next time I will try homemade noodles.

9 Likes

Ramen noodles are a whole thing unto themselves. Best of luck!
I made the more common pasta and then assembled 4 medium sized ricotta-spinach-sausage lasagnas-one was dinner, three are for the freezer.

8 Likes

Which reminds me…

(Tasted as bad as it looks.)

4 Likes

Please tell me that’s carrot….

5 Likes

Gas station hot dog soup. They’re floating in what’s basically diluted ketchup.

I’ll let you guess the disdainful new name we gave it.

4 Likes

Hot dog soup? That’s a real thing? That doesn’t sound very appetizing at all. Although…I make a mean cabbage soup and sometimes use hot dogs in it, if I don’t have kielbasa on hand.

4 Likes