Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

i made air fryer Scotch eggs for mum and me:

neighbor gave me a dozen lovely brown and green eggs from his layers. i boiled 6 for 6minutes, then chilled, peeled and wrapped in some Publix “hot” pork sausage (1lb for 6 eggs), then dipped into two whisked eggs and panko breadcrumbs. air fryer 400F for 18minutes and served with our homemade Guinness habanero brown mustard.
damn good pub fare for our happy hour at home!

15 Likes

In case anyone is wondering what the value is to things like Impossible ground “hamburger”, I’ve just been given a recipe I can use with only one substitution for everyone I usually cook for (including the omnivores) except for the one vegan. Who I probably won’t see for 4 months, so there’s lots of time to try out this recipe for the rest of us!

8 Likes

I remember we have a ceramic bread pan that my mother-in-law made.
Time to find it and use it. :bread: Thank you.

5 Likes

Oh, I only complimented the bread pan. That was @tcg550’s pan.

5 Likes

Oh man, that looks great! :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Pork loin is so excellent. You adding bacon just pushed it over the top! :raised_hands:

4 Likes

Somehow the page didn’t go through, so only seeing this now. But thanks so much for coming through! I love dumplings of any kind, so will definitely try out some of the alternative preparation methods!

6 Likes

Hope to get my mom’s recipe for the sweet arepas when i drive to Houston tomorrow, those are some of my top faves

6 Likes

giphy (19)

7 Likes

Heck! I see what you mean. Thank you.

3 Likes

Its a beauty! Great results too.

3 Likes

Just look at it!

banana_prices

10 Likes

My first try was to pick ‘sweet’:

Why not try making carrot pudding?

This is a blissful blend of a number of historical puddings – the pie is lined with puff pastry, and has pinches of nutmeg and cinnamon, as featured in Eliza Smith’s version in The Compleat Housewife (1727). The result is a scrumptious afternoon or after-dinner treat.

You can find the recipe here

If you pick ‘savory’, the next question is whether you want vegetarian or not. That got me:

Why not try making Chinese tea eggs?

A traditional Chinese dinner-table staple is the ‘tea egg’ – a boiled egg left to steep in a soy sauce and tea-infused broth for a number of hours. While the age-old association between eggs, rebirth and prosperity means the dish is a fitting festive treat, tea eggs can be enjoyed as a snack all year round, and are also commonly sold in shops and by street vendors.

You can find the recipe here

8 Likes

My daughter was very insistent that we have red velvet muffins for breakfast. I was a half hour into it before I realized it was because of the holiday, she never met a food themed holiday she didn’t like. Red velvet masa harina jam muffins.

Would also be appropriate for other holidays :ghost: :jack_o_lantern: :vampire:

8 Likes

My wife abandoned me to go shopping with our daughter so I made homemade Jiffy Corn Muffins topped with butter and grape jam for breakfast.

9 Likes

Can you cut the Mustard?

9 Likes

How is Gulden’s not anywhere on that list?. I mean, it’s probably not a great mustard, but it serves as the introduction to spicy brown mustard for most Americans who’ve only had the creamy yellow stuff in the squeeze bottle. If French’s is on that list, it seems like Gulden’s should have a spot.

6 Likes

Surprisingly no mention of Chinese hot mustard
IMG_7055

6 Likes

Our go-to is the mustard that comes in a beer glass. Over the years we have collected quite a set! And if one accidentally breaks, well it was only a mustard jar anyway.

9 Likes

of course, you could always make your own:

recipe here:

10 Likes