Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

i keep that one on hand, but it lasts the longest. i only like it on egg rolls. still, i find that particular brand (Dynasty) to be too sweet for my liking. maybe they use a type of rice vinegar, where others use white wine, cider or white vinegars?

6 Likes

I typically have it in a small tube from S&B. Goes well mixed with kewpie mayo on yakisoba and on the side with oden

6 Likes

i have seen that at Publix. i use that brand’s wasabi in a tube. i will have to give it a go to see if it is as sweet as the Dynasty brand. also need to expand my pairing this type of mustard with other dishes, like the yakisoba or oden (which i love). not o fan of kewpie on anything.

5 Likes

There’s a southern U.S. condiment known as Durkee Sauce that is basically mustard + mayo mixed together.

As they say: great minds (cuisines) think alike!

5 Likes

Mmm…first time I ever had a Mandarinquat!

I really like kumquats, and I’d been hoping for kumquats to show up at my co-op. The Southern folks here probably think they’re not so special, but here in Minnesota in the winter it’s a big treat (for me, anyway) to get some. So far I haven’t seen any. But this week there were Mandarinquats, so I thought I’d try one. ($12.99 a pound, if I remember correctly. This little beauty weighed 0.09 pounds.)

↓ Would have had a banana for scale, except that I ate the banana earlier, for breakfast :woman_shrugging:t2: The Mandarinquat was about 2 inches long.

↓ Mandarinquat…all the seeds of a full-sized fruit, without the full-sized fruit :laughing:

My verdict: I liked it. Nice and juicy. Tastes like a cross between a Mandarin and a kumquat, imagine that! But I think I may be, at heart, a kumquat purist.

11 Likes

That looks like it could make a great marmalade.

11 Likes

Oooh, that sounds lovely!

6 Likes

For me, that balance of skin/ pith to flesh/juice with a healthy amount of seeds means loads of pectin, and you can vary from sharp to sweet without losing the set.

8 Likes

I had to look that up, I didn’t realize the seeds have pectin in them :slight_smile: Do you tie the seeds up in cheesecloth?

5 Likes

Yeah, supposedly the white pith has some too, but it’s edible. I’d boil the seeds in cheesecloth, and remove it towards the end.

7 Likes

@zfirphdn I have a calamansi tree/bush (container grown, looking a little worn out right now) which produces a similar type fruit, but sour, and it makes a great marmalade. There’s almost no pith, but there is loads of pectin in the seeds and wispy membranes, so like @nick_warr wrote, those should be easy to prepare if you want to cook up a marmalade.

8 Likes

I made bollos pelones. They’re so good! Now on to the rest of your list

11 Likes

I must be into small things this weekend. I baked my brownies in mini muffin pans.

I’m too cheap to buy an all-edges brownie pan. Plus I’m slowly cutting down on sweets, and cutting down on buying stuff, so investing in one doesn’t make sense. But I happened to have the mini muffin pans already.

JUST LOOK at all that BROWNIE-EDGE GOODNESS!!

11 Likes

Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

11 Likes

It’s also good to cook scoops of batter in a waffle iron.

7 Likes

So true! I missed that.
I use Colmans quite a bit. I is pretty spicy.

4 Likes

Yes! I do that too, thanks to you mentioning it here some time ago :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

When the hot summer weather comes and I’m not turning on the oven, I’ll be using the waffle iron, for sure :heart:

7 Likes

I’m shopping for a waffle iron right now.

6 Likes

That looks great! I haven’t had those in a while but they are quite nice and also filling

7 Likes

Get one for rectangular Belgian waffles. I mean, it’s no air fryer, but very versatile nevertheless.

6 Likes