Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

i have some left. i don’t often get the unbroken ones good for cooking. the prevailin SE’erly winds tear them up quickly.
can’t decide between stcky rice steamed in banana leaves or chicken tamales, Oaxaca style! need to make a dark, chocolaty molé. mmmm… tamales enmolada!

14 Likes

That feels like it could be part of a children’s story. About a little mushroom named Gus who just didn’t seem like he fit into the same mold as everyone else, and all the truffle that got him into. But when the stakes get hyphal he saves the day and in the end there is the morel, that sometimes it you just have to say that it’s “mycelium” and not “theircelium” that counts.

…Did I say children’s story? I meant parent’s story. I don’t think kids will appreciate it.

9 Likes

Sticky rice in banana leaves, mangoes, and molé…I think I can drive there by tomorrow’s dinner!

8 Likes

This gills me! :rofl:

Spore-atically.

8 Likes

Check your cinnamon and make sure it isn’t one of the contaminated products. FDA found lead contamination in spice products.
I’m glad the FDA continued testing after the lead contamination in toddler applesauce pouches poisoned so many children

11 Likes

I had a good time watching American Fiction, and I hope Jeffrey Wright gets that Oscar!

I laughed at this moment, and then thought, “Huh. Clever echo there!”

200w (1)

7bf64b2817179e1d98f163019e4b678d

5 Likes

Wakame Tsukudani, a comfort food/side dish made with seaweed, dried bonito flakes and shoyu.

ETA

This is not the same recipe I used. I made the dish with sake, bonito flakes, mirin, shouyu and a little oyster sauce.

13 Likes

that is so lovely!
i love wakame soup when i’m feeling under the weather. looks like i make it using some of same ingredients as you show. i keep 3 or 4 dried seaweeds for soups and fish dishes.
because i can’t get great Asian ingredients here, i stock up whenever i just have to go to the mainland i will hit up the small markets there for staples.

11 Likes

Indeed.

Oh yes. You live on an island. I had forgotten. Despite living in the capital, Asian product stores are in a part of the city far from my home. Then I buy it for myself, for my in-laws, brothers-in-law… And they also share it with me.

Sometimes I use wakame when making miso soup. I usually add yam or daikon to the broth, which are easier to find in these parts of the city…

It doesn´t look appetizing, but I can assure you it was nice.

Oh, I ran out of sesame seeds…

12 Likes

Looks good enough to eat. That’s my criteria.

8 Likes

It won’t help @BakaNeko, and you won’t be able to order refrigerated stuff, but H-Mart delivers to the continental US:

(Pan-Asian, not just Korean foodstuff.)

11 Likes

I also recommend Weee! | America’s largest online Asian supermarket I’ve used them a few times. Sometimes products you’re wanting aren’t in stock, i don’t use it all the time but i do like it.

8 Likes

My local go-to

7 Likes

9 Likes

A beer I had yesterday:

12 Likes

About a month ago I bought an interesting gin to use as a mixer. On the recommendation of someone at the liquor store I got St Laurent Gin and aged in whiskey barrels. It’s interesting, as part of the botanicals for the gin they use kombu seaweed so it has a slight salty, savory quality to it but not overpowering… i’ve been using it in a cocktail with blood orange cordial and a small splash of passionfruit syrup, about half an ounce of lemon juice and lengthened with club soda. It’s really nice and I like how the slightly salty quality plays with everything else

Can’t say its a favorite gin, but its unique enough that i’d buy some more in the future if I can catch it on sale again.

14 Likes

We’re getting ready for a week long camping trip for the eclipse. We’re the anchor and there will be at least 6 tents.

Making a lot of browned ground beef and pulled chicken for big group meals.

Someone said you can shred chicken in the stand mixer.

What ya know, you sure can. The paddle and low speed made short work of it.

10 Likes

Oh thats a great idea! I hate shredding by hand.

4 Likes

That looks nice! My favorite gins are Empress and Botanist. Empress is yum and fun because the color from the pea flowers will change when mixed with anything acidic.

12 Likes

I love gin too much to keep it in my home. It just won’t last. But I think I’d make an exception for these.

7 Likes