Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

I don’t eat beef, but if you do a heads up. Beef prices will probably go up soon. Giant Texas wildfire killed a bunch of beef cows and a couple hundred miles of grazing, houses, barns, etc.
The biggest fire, the Smokestack Creek, is only 15% contained and has already burned over a million acres in Texas cattle country.

This could bankrupt even some of the big cattle conglomerates.

7 Likes

No, I don’t believe in cleanses. Your body has kidneys and a liver to do that. I have chronic pain. Some people say turmeric is a natural anti inflammatory. It seems like it helps a little, but it could also be a placebo effect. The chili powder is because some people claim it increases your metabolism. It probably doesn’t work, but I like the spice, so what the hell.

11 Likes

The real question is: does it taste good?
Secondary question: do you add before brewing or after? Like a dash of cinnamon

5 Likes

I like it. But I like turmeric and I’m a bit of a chili head. I have a Kuerig (I’m the only coffee drinker in the house and I drink 1-2 cups a day). I just put it in my cup before I push the button.

10 Likes

cool!
good to know you don’t go in for the “cleanse” woo.
i have read that turmeric does help with inflammation. as a major pepperhead i am totally on board with chilies boosting metabolism. had some scorpion pepper sauce today that had the effect of a donkey kick to the dopamine center of my brain! definitely felt very alive for some time after.

7 Likes

I asked an Ai thingie a question.

10 Likes

While cleaning out the house, I came across this recipe. It was really good, I’ll have to make it again. (Or hundreds of similar variations.)

9 Likes

People who eat chili pepper may live longer? | ScienceDaily.

I often have a dash of chili powder in my oatmeal, with cinnamon. Definitely in my hot chocolate.
communiess-community

ETA: similar studies on ginger and pain. Seems to be a lower safety risk than nsaids or such, so far.

11 Likes

Yes! Laurie makes a home made Ginger tea. The warming effect is wonderful too. :teapot:

6 Likes

Mom had a tooth extracted today so dinner was mashed potatoes, Mac and cheese, and rice pudding (diner style).

6 Likes

Kitchen tool I never knew I needed:

A strap wrench for opening jars and other containers with twist-off lids, and also closing the snap-lock lids on glass food storage containers

Left arm is messed up, and this helps a lot

13 Likes

I improvised a food-related joke at dinner:

What did the part-time vegan say?

Not today, seitan!

9 Likes

Handy for swapping the oil filter on your car too. Results may vary

8 Likes

They make a bunch of stuff for those who can cook with one hand tied behind their back.

ETA: not paywalled.

7 Likes

Thanks for the link. Even though my arm is only temporarily (I hope) incapacitated, I am now contemplating the existence of knorks and whether I need them.

8 Likes

I made one up too, a while ago.
What’s the point of a fungi fable?

The morel of the story.

9 Likes

second bunch of bananas cut today. also some nice whole leaves, untattered by the strong winds we had.

i wanted to use some for fish, so i made Thai baked leaf-wrapped grouper filets. marinated the filets in a sauce made of shallot, galangal, chilies, Thai basil, lime leaves, ground coriander, coconut milk, fish sauce and lime juice blended till smooth and placed on the leaves:

wrap and in the baking dish;

into a 350F oven for 20 minutes and

heat the reserved sauce and spoon over the cooked fish:

the marinade/ sauce is wonderfully complex and very Thai tasting!
recipe here, should work with any thick fish filet - cod, salmon, grouper, mahi…:

15 Likes

Hungry Ready To Eat GIF

12 Likes

Banana and plantain leaves are so good, love the aroma they bring to whatever they’re cooked with.

10 Likes

Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

10 Likes