Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

I think that’s what we call Asafoetida in the States.

8 Likes

WOWZA! i gotta try this! wohoo! when the habs come in this year, this is going to get a try. i am growing tired of mango habanero sauce.

7 Likes

7 Likes

Always do this.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah. Even soaking with a Barkeep Friend solution didn’t help much. Don’t recall if I tried boiling at all.

4 Likes

I’m not a big fan of mango to begin with.

7 Likes

haha! after the last two bumper crops of habs, i have become jaded. i still make it because it has proven a strong barter item. people like it so much, they are willing to trade mahi, tuna and lobster for a pint jar or several bottles.
me? i still like it (i do it well, apparently), but i need many hot sauces - something that pairs well with what is served. like wine or craft brew.

12 Likes

Yea, but typically that’s in a preparation which has wheat in it. Also, they won’t understand that in the shops that I buy it in.

6 Likes

Wait, Hare Krishna can go out of business? Don’t they give away their food for free?

4 Likes

They ran two restaurants in Dublin City centre. They were commercial entities and sold food with no religious selling going on. I knew the woman who ran the better one for decades. Just from going there and it’s always sad when someone you talked to for so long, even if not for long each time, but had developed an easiness and talked of our families etc. just disappears from your life because landlords are greedy bastards who leverage capital against workers and want to get paid handsomely for nothing.

It’s happening a lot.

9 Likes

He doesn’t remember where he got the recipe and it is something he’s made so often he kinda eyes everything. Apparently I was mistaken and the onions aren’t in the hot sauce, just a common pairing on everything from eggs to tacos. Here are some guidelines

10 habaneros, de-seeded
500g peeled ginger
4 cloves garlic
1 peeled shallot
2 tbsp mustard
1 lemon, peeled
250ml white vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

“None of these ratios are even remotely precise. Mix up however much of whatever ingredient you want. I like to slice across the ginger, shallot, and lemon to avoid long nasty strands. Put it all in a blender and pulverize it until you think it’s done, then taste and adjust.”

8 Likes

Moroccan spiced chicken, and sweet potatoes. Came out really well.

10 Likes

thank you for that.

holy shite! that’s a pound of ginger and only 10 habs!?!

i should hope not, otherwise i’ve used most of a year’s worth of my ginger and only one day’s harvest of peppers! oi! i’m making ginger sauce with heat! pickled onions might level that out some, but this seems wild!
one question: mustard - prepared (a la French’s yellow hot dog mustard), powdered or soaked mustard seed?
i like the idea here. i do put ginger, shallots, garlic in my habanero sauce (even the mango one), but mustard and already pickled onions get me to thinking :thinking: .
i ferment my habaneros in a salt crock before mixing them with other ingredients. aging the resulting sauce for at least a month, sometimes up to a year, lends a smoothness and allows the sharp elements of the ginger and onions to calm down and behave in the overall mix. YMMV

10 Likes

Spouse says he uses whatever is on hand. Usually Dijon. Sometimes yellow French. Horseradish mustard worked well.

He’s not sure on the ginger amount he probably uses less. At least, on a batch for himself. If I remember correctly it was like. 1:4 ratio of habs: ginger. He might also be thinking about when he makes a batch specifically to share with me. I’m unfortunately not very spice tolerant

I’ll suggest this. If he can stay out of it for that long. Maybe a double batch. One to use immediately and a second to age.

7 Likes

thanks for clearing that up for me. i am most itrigued by these new additions and will be experimenting with it come summertime.

Puppet Muchas Gracias GIF by Gerbert!

9 Likes

Should you ever feel the urge to try again for some reason, the method I use is to have about five times as much butter or other fat as you think reasonable.

Stir the eggs constantly and the moment the mixture begins to catch on the bottom of the pan, ideally as soon as you start seeing any kind of trail behind your stirring implement, take the pan off the heat and keep stirring until the mixture stops sticking.

Back on the heat, stir, stir. Off again when it starts sticking. Stir, stir.

Repeat until eggs are at desired consistency.

Pepper whenever you like, don’t salt until eggs are cooked.

Then make sure you season your pan correctly.

[Runs and hides]

9 Likes

Happy pi day, to those who celebrate.

Apple

14 Likes

So, iPie®?

6 Likes

15 Likes

Carbonara.

12 Likes

Not just pecorino, pecorino romano (salted, and aged), next time I’m in Rome I really need to find time to visit some of the places that have caves that have been used for over 2000 years to age pecorino.

12 Likes