Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

My husband makes a delicious version of carbonara with high quality bacon instead of guanciale or pancetta. This started when we couldn’t really afford the other two. But he keeps doing it now because it’s yummy. Blasphemy but yummy

12 Likes

That’s some very old cheese indeed.

Alternative Spaghetti Carbonara for the no pork crowd:

Basically everything stays the same, but use smoked salmon.
The seasoning needs to be tweaked a bit, but that’s it.

14 Likes

Mine wasn’t as tasty and creamy because the egg ran to the bottom of the pan and I didn’t stir the pasta well.

Living and learning. I think the next one will be better.

Unfortunately, I used what was available in the supermarket, no high-quality gourmet ingredients.

12 Likes

Mix a good amount of grated pecorino with the egg, and use a big round (cold) bowl to stir it together, the more you move it around, the more egg will stick.

8 Likes

Thank you.

I added the cheese only after placing the pasta on the plate.

9 Likes

Pop Tv Alexis Rose GIF by Schitt's Creek

7 Likes

Found a great way to get all the sweet sweet cherry goodness out of Luxardo Gourmet Maraschino Cherries jar.
Gin worked perfectly!

9 Likes

Would one need to replace the rendered fat with some kind of oil?

6 Likes

We’re probably due to be exiled, but we toss almost all the rendered fat (and we put the crisp guanciale on paper to drain), it makes for a thicker sauce, and much less indigestion, cuz we’re old.

11 Likes

Some people say to add some water, the very same water used to cook the pasta and then get a smoothy creamy sauce.

10 Likes

Yes, the starch in the water from the cooking process helps make the sauce creamier… if you reserve like a cup or the water, that usually does the trick, even if you’re just making a sauce with some butter.

11 Likes

tumblr_acee39d2e95d37b4d3bbc7c66d9ca75d_3a79c665_500

5 Likes

We just take the pasta straight from the water and into the mixing dish, there’s usually enough water with that, you just have to be careful to not add anything hot to the egg mixture before the pasta goes in, or it will start cooking and clumping.

10 Likes

To the gif repository, STAT!

6 Likes

I’m on the same exact kick! It’s also a great way to save them if they might be sitting around fresh too long.
I’ve been digging those little cocktail breads topped with rebel cheese and mustard and pickled red onions for lunch, with fresh herbs from the aerogarden. My other fave is hummus kimchi wraps with the onions and Thai basil. But like you, I’m putting the onions on virtually everything. Good note about the peanut butter, hadn’t heard that one!

8 Likes

Just curious if anyone is cooking anything special for St. Patrick’s day tomorrow? I always do a corned beef, cabbage, and potato thingie in the crockpot (with a chicken version for the husband who doesn’t eat red meat) and then I make some soda bread with buttermilk.

8 Likes

I’m flying solo this St. Patty’s day, so I’m mixing it up a bit. I’m going to braise my brisket on the pellet grill. And I picked up some really nice sunchokes so I might sub those in for the potatoes.

As a non-baker, I’m jealous of the soda bread!

8 Likes

The one I do is really dirt simple. No yeast, etc. Just flour, salt, baking soda, buttermilk… it makes a sort of shaggier dough, pop it in the over for about 20 minutes, and bob’s your uncle!

The one I do is very similar to this:

Probably a type of bread that’s pretty good for novices. It’s one of the first breads I learned to make.

10 Likes

I did the corned beef meal on Friday, as that’s the night we usually have friends over for dinner. Used the instant pot and it came out great. Enough leftovers so I can make hash tomorrow. I skipped baking anything at all no soda bread, no pie for pi day.

7 Likes

I’ve never used an instapot, but a friend swears by it… worth the investment, do ya think?

5 Likes