Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Been eyeing that recipe for a while now in my YT feed. Glad it’s good!

6 Likes

That looks amazing… seems similar to colcannon, though you don’t bake colcannon after combining with the greens.

8 Likes

I’m sure there are similar dishes across Europe, especially in marginal lands, or tenant farmers where the output went to the landlord, and they had to make do with what they could grow in their own back gardens.

“Everything will be alright as long as you have your -ing potato.” - Mr. Tulip, The Truth, Terry Pratchett.

9 Likes

He uses the sharp side of the knife to scrap food off the cutting board, and even scrapes it along the top of a pan.

Scared Breaking Bad GIF by davidsaracino

12 Likes

Cringe No GIF

8 Likes

I was thinking it was similar to potato kugel, there’s also turnip/cabbage/squash kugels. Often no dairy, but usually has eggs.

7 Likes

I’m making a ginormous pot of pea soup, which I don’t even eat. I’ve been told I make the best pea soup, though.

14 Likes

Reminds me of my mom, she makes what i think of as really good homemade Venezuelan hot sauce but she doesn’t even bother to try it. She’ll eyeball everything and hope it turns out, in all these decades she hasn’t made a bad batch. Though if it ever ends up nuclear hot you can divide it into two batches and either add milk to make a milk based Venezuelan hot sauce (yes, it curdles but that’s part of it and it’s good) or she’ll just add more of the other ingredients to “water down” the spice level.

11 Likes

I’m also not a fan of pea soup. I’ve only enjoyed it a couple of times, and I think it’s because the cook accidentally doubled the bacon/ham… :rofl:

7 Likes

More bacon/ham is never an accident

8 Likes

Very like English bubble and squeak:

Too.
I happen to have leftover mash and cabbage in the fridge. They are just going to be made into colcannon cakes and fried on the pan to serve as a bed for poached eggs.

It’s traditional in my house. If I wanted to fancy it up I guess I’d add some chorizo (or ‘nduja).

11 Likes

Which reminds me a bit of Western Japan’s okonomiyaki. Basically a cabbage and thin sliced pork pancake made with eggs, flour and ground up sticky yam.

11 Likes

Where’s my yum emoji!

6 Likes

please tell me more about milk hot sauce! what do you put it on/with? what peppers are used? is it heavy on the vinegar, and that makes the curdle?
you know i must try this…

7 Likes

Well you can see the sheet pan to the left of my soup pot. That pan was covered in bacon, which I cooked in the oven and is now in the soup. And there’s a pound of ham in there. So you might like it.

9 Likes

My wife did a curbside pickup on Saturday, when she got home there was some stuff she didn’t order.

A pound of some premium smoked turkey breast lunch meat and 20 bucks worth of boneless country ribs.

The young person that did the shopping and brought out the order was very nice. We didn’t want her to get in trouble so we called the store and tried to pay.

They said not to worry about it.

So dinner tonight.

A little lean but when sliced thin pretty tasty. We’ll get about 4 meals out of it.

10 Likes

You can use it as any other hot sauce, i’m not sure i’ve added to anything and thought it clashed with the flavors though that could be possible. It’s been some years since she’s made some with the milk because the peppers she would normally make with it in Venezuela aren’t as readily accessible here in the US which we called Forote but i think it’s known under a few names like Rocoto/Locoto, but honestly my mom uses whatever peppers she’s in the mood to use. She’s used thai peppers, jalapenos, ghost peppers once time (i thoroughly warned her of the level of spice and she really went out of her way to dilute it so it ended up super mild), etc. The reason why some Venezuelan folks add milk to their homemade hot sauce is to adjust the spice level to something they like because the Forote pepper can sometimes be tolerably hot and other times they can be nuclear.

My mom’s general flavor profile for her hot sauce is a lot of cilantro, some garlic, onion i think?, some vinegar but it’s not vinegar forward like something like Tabasco. For specifics i’m going to need to press my mom for details. Be warned that most of my mom’s recipes end up as really vague guides like “add onion to taste” and “eyeball the amount of vinegar” :sweat_smile: which i understand but can make recreating her recipes a bit frustrating for me. I’m planning on visiting this upcoming weekend so hopefully i’ll get written down by then.

There are also some fruit based hot sauces that are made in Venezuela but my mom’s stuck to the one kind. No complaints from me :slight_smile: though i’ve always been curious what they’re like.

10 Likes

My daughter likes fried eggs, eggs over easy, and “crab feast”, which I do not enjoy, but I prepare. The things we do for love.

5 Likes

thank you for your reply!
that sounds really interesting and, as a pepper aficionado, i will seek out Venezuelan peppers (there is a very large Venezuelan diaspora in the Miami area). i can probably find something.
as to vague recipes, i can relate. i also cook that way and “onions to taste” or “eyeball [ingredient]” makes perfect sense to me. i tend to cook by smell, taste, feel and looks (eyeballing).
i am just very curious - as a hot sauce fiend - how i have never seen, nor heard of a milk sauce. wow! that just gets my intrigue and sense of exploration excited!
cool thing, a new hot thing!

8 Likes

I like eggs over easy. Or over medium. Or even over hard. Or sunny side up. Or poached. Or hard boiled. Or soft boiled. Or scrambled. I like eggs, is what I’m saying, just about any way you want to prepare them, lol.

13 Likes