Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

When my dough won’t come away after a reasonable time I just toss on a bit of flour-a tablespoon or so to start with. When kneading by hand you end up working flour into the dough as you work it, but it often isn’t mentioned in the recipe.
Are you using the dough hook? Does all of the flour get incorporated, or is there dry stuff stuck to the bowl? If you live in a very humid place you can try adding about 3/4 of the recommended liquids and see if that helps. The dough will be dry and the bowl will have flour bits at the bottom-add a tablespoon of water and see if that gets the dough to clean the bottom. Add a dribble more at a time just until the dough is pliable enough to form a smooth mass-if it clings to the hook that’s ok.

12 Likes

Have you checked the alignment of your stand mixer to make sure it’s mixing as well as it should?

What are you using for flour? Are you measuring the water by weight as well?

7 Likes

Ok, to answer the questions in the previous 2 comments:

1. Yes, I am using the dough hook.
  2. Yes, all of the flour got incorporated. There was no dry bits stuck to the bowl.
  3. I live about 50 minutes east of Philly. It’s not particularly humid or dry here.
  4. I have no idea how to check the alignment of my stand mixer, but it’s a KitchenAid and it seems to mix other things just fine. One thing I have noticed is that the dough hook for this model KitchenAid is designed to push the dough against the sides of the bowl. But I don’t know how well it actually does that. It’s a C-shaped hook. They make a spiral hook for a different model, but it won’t fit my mixer, and that one is designed to push the dough against the bottom of the bowl. There’s not anything I can do about this, short of buying a new mixer, which I’m not going to do.
  5. I converted everything in that recipe, except for the egg, into grams, and measured by weight.
  6. I am using King Arthur bread flour.
9 Likes

Are you using the dough hook? On our KitchenAide it’s pretty foolproof. If you are already using that, i think more details are needed.

(Duh. Read the rest of the thread… Sorry!)

8 Likes

Enthusiastic amateur bread baker here. I often have to do what @BakerB said above: add more flour a little at a time during kneading, whether by hand or with the KitchenAid. Sometimes it’s alarmingly more, which I assume has to do with humidity (Alabama, y’all), but sometimes it seems to be “just because”. Frequently scraping down the sides of the bowl helps some too.

11 Likes

If there’s nothing on the side, it’s probably fine, but it only takes a few minutes to check.

8 Likes

This is my approach too, adding flour is usually the right path. Even if it seems like I’ve added too much flour, the surplus doesn’t get incorporated into the dough, so I transfer the dough to a different bowl once it’s the right texture, and leave some flour behind.

4 Likes

Veggie lasagna, strawberry rhubarb crisp.

10 Likes

I cut all the garlic scapes yesterday and had no idea what to do with them, so i made this up as I went along.

I cut the scapes about a half-inch behind the flowers. I put the stalks in a chopper-izer to make small granules. Cooked over low heat with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Once that had heated up I then threw in the scape flowers along with some basil leaves and some chopped walnuts, and a couple of garlic cloves. Put the lid on and let it cook on low for a half hour.

Cooked some pasta and scooped the concoction on top with a little tomato paste.

Turned out grand.

16 Likes

Yeah, over here in GA, it’s never a problem to add more flour, because like over there in AL, it’s humid!

9 Likes

I did a side by side of the recipe you’re using with a recent version from Serious Eats, whom I stan.

There is a significant difference in ratios while a similarity in approach, kind of? If you have some rice flour about, it could be a fun experiment. Either way, a well made milk bread is lovely, good luck!

11 Likes

Is this going to be any good? (I nabbed it from the house where I’m cat sitting—they told me to eat anything. And they have tons of drinkables—flavored waters, Sprecher root beer, N/A beers, sparkling juices… I brought the beer home with me—too allergic to the cats to stay over there :crying_cat_face:)

Edit: I’ve taken a sip. I don’t think I would know the difference (though I’m no connoisseur, that’s for sure). I like it fine :woman_shrugging:t2:

11 Likes

i’ve had that in times when any alcohol was ill advised, and quite liked the hoppy, malty flavor and carbonation seemed right.
for an NA brew, i would choose Sam Adams.

7 Likes

Yeah, I’m liking it! (Well, it’s all gone now.) I would say it was both sweet and bitter, and had a sense of fullness in the mouth (is that something people say about beer, “fullness”?) :yum:

7 Likes

Well, if I never get the hang of kneading, at least the no knead method seems to work pretty well.

16 Likes

I’m coeliac so it’s a bit theoretical these days but before I realised I was, we used to drink weissbier pretty much every week. Goes great with Asian food and is just as good non-alcoholic as with alcohol whereas hoppy beers tend not to be so great. I mean obviously there are hops in weissbier but they are bittering taste hops rather than fruity, flavouring hops so the easiest way to dealcoholise the beer doesn’t ruin it.

Obviously there are a lot of alcohol free lager type things you can eat with Asian food but they taste a bit weedy. The weissbier has the taste, and mouthfeel to pair with strong food.

8 Likes

:+1:
I do a little scraping with my Detroit-style pizza dough - maybe 2-3 times during mixing at most.

I haven’t seen the Sam Adams out here on the West Coast. We have Athletic Brewing which offers a range of styles of NA brews and Crux, which offers a couple of IPAs. The Athletic is really good. I can’t really tell it’s NA, it’s that good.

7 Likes

made mum her favorite chocolate waffles this morning.

i admit to cheating. i use Krusteez Belgian waffle mix and add 1/4 cup of cocoa powder. makes things simple. they’re really good. we freeze like 5 whole waffles for snacks later. toast one up with “good butter” :wink: for a dreamy late-night treat.

15 Likes

I used to deep fry all the time, but yeah, it’s smelly, dirty, gives you an oil disposal problem.

Now I’ve got an air fryer, and while it’s not the same, it does a good enough job if you prepare things right. I did air-fryer roasted potatoes last night and they were as good as the ones I do in the oven without having a huge heat source heating up my un-airconditioned apartment.

Not as good for twice fried french fries, and I’m certainly not gonna try battered fish in it like I did in the deep fryer, though.

12 Likes

air fryers FTW!
i do fish and chips in mine. if you batter, then freeze fish filets, they work without being a huge mess, or you can do a simple breading and pop them in. i prefer air fried “blackened” fish. just rub up some grouper filets with old bay blackening season and fry for like 10 minutes (or less, depending on thickness.)
edit to fix tyops

12 Likes